How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Microsoft offers cheapest-ever Windows upgrade

(35 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 2513 times

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

My clearest understanding, the bottom line from all the MS talk about upgrades. Since I am running Release Preview on a drive that never had a previous Windows Install, I will neither be able to upgrade, nor migrate to Win8 Pro for the $39.99. I might be able to do a clean install for the $69.99 when I walk in the store on October 26th. I better get a definitive answer at that time, or I won't gamble on 8--unless Full Retail versions are going to be sold, which does not look likely at this stage (judging from the press releases and net chatter). A simple, 1 page table on the Windows official site would make these facts clear, but that would make way too much sense.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Pre-order Windows 8 Pro Here

Pre-order by October 24th at 2:30pm PST and get free shipping with delivery on October 26*. Starting October 26th, you'll also have the option to download Windows 8 Pro for $39.99.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/.....pG2iOUgi8g

Info
http://blogs.windows.com/windo.....today.aspx

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

@Raph, your first link is incorrect, but the site is right. CompUSA is offering OEM versions (but only from the link to the newsletter they just sent me, I can't find the link by going in from the base URL) for pre-sale which are $139.99 for PRO, the Microsoft store does not even list the OEM offerings, quite strange! EDIT: I chatted with the MS Store and they have no info about OEM offerings at this time, CompUSA must be gambling that such a product will be available soon.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I fixed the order link because it timed out. :) :)

Have to be fast when ordering.

Gosh !!!!

Folks make a new Gaming Build for $1500 and then want to "quibble" over $70 buck O/S ????

Something is wrong with that logic. :( :(

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

Had to laugh at this option:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Window.....#38;sr=8-3

I hadn't come across the 'N' version before so had to look it up - it's the version without media-player - I rather suspect the pricing means that Microsoft really don't want to sell many of this one.....

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I believe you can still choose the WINDOWS Media player, free if you like but it does not come installed for those who would like another player. Probably because of some lawsuit somewhere.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Well this Edition is the one I'll get.

Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit (Full Version) - OEM $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6832416552

The rest of the stuff will probably end up in a big mess to install.

Not sure how all the upgrading works BUT know this will work fine since a volume license is for businesses only.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I got mine from the Tiger directly.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yes but will ALL of those Clean Install from the git-go ????

I have my doubts ????

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

And let's not forget the Win8 Pro Pack, that includes Media Center? Nice dog and pony bit, Mr Gates et al.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

One more week till launch and my preferred retailer refuses to offer the $139.99 PRO OEM for pre-sale (I have reward $ with them, so I have to go that route). I find it a bitter pill to swallow that no retail, full versions will ever be sold, specially with virtualization increasing. Can OEM's be installed on different VHDs, as long as you do not try more than one at a time?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit (Full Version) - OEM ($110 with Promo Code + free Shipping)

Check your E-mail from newegg 12/19/2012 !!

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@Rick, Got that E-mail, I'm thinking if not in a hurry just to get something new that price will go lower. They may not sell as many as they are anticipating.

Joe

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yep, no need to hurry.

I just want folks to know to Purchase the RRO (Full Version) if and when they buy a copy of Windows 8.

There appears to be much confusion concerning Windows 8 Upgrade Editions and so forth.

Don't want my friends to buy a "Pig in Polk' Edition just because of low price and "funky" advertising.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Right on brother.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!