Microsoft offers cheapest-ever Windows upgrade

(35 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 2513 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

"....... for just $39.99..."
"Who's eligible for Windows 8 upgrade, how to do a clean install, getting Media Center for free"

http://www.computerworld.com/s.....Cs+News%29

Good Stuff !!!!

Posted 2 years ago

Zagreus
Zagreus

My god!! Bypassed Vista, not long been on Windows 7. Mind you i bypassed Me and 2000 and stuck with 98se until XP was sorted.

Daveh.

Posted 2 years ago

Superevil
Superevil

I wouldn't use it if they paid me the 39.99

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Superevil, may not have worry about 8, may be this in couple years, huh ?? :) :)

"The Android-powered eyeglasses are equipped with a processor, memory, camera, GPS sensors and a display screen."

http://www.computerworld.com/s.....re+News%29

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Hmmmm, wonder if the $40 upgrade will upgrade from the RC.

Posted 2 years ago

Superevil
Superevil

Those things look ridiculous. I'm more interested in the contacts that came out about a year or so ago that have a HUD.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Was unaware that The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) had any contracts to procure experimental hardware. There's just so much one can keep up with everyday even if they are a fast reader.

Posted 2 years ago

Superevil
Superevil

Yea, you put the contacts in and when you look at an empty lot it'll tell you what kind of building would be perfect for that location. Science!!

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Don't know for sure but think there is already an APP for iPads with GPS for doing that.

I get all my science news from TMZ !!

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Cheapest ever upgrade? I think not! Doth one forget the upgrade fee when one bought a computer with Vista during the FREE upgrade to W7 period? It was $0.00 USD then, now $15.00 USD. Yes, the $40 USD is cheaper than the W7 $50.00 USD pre-order, but to me, this isn't an apples to apples deal. They don't even call it a pre-order. No 'family' pack either that would support 3 machines that MS sold for W7. Matter of fact, one can only by 5 copies at $40 USD, but I don't know how MS can figure that out?

EDIT: Note the $40 USD price is for a d/l only. Want media, make the $70 USD. W7 upgrade was $50 USD which included the media (although not really and install DVD but you could use it as such). You also need a prior license to use it, not for fresh builds/install.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

So IRV,

I have 10 CALs of XP 64 which have never been used plus several copies of Win7 Ultimate.

How do I turn them in to get FULL OEM or Retail Editions of Windows 8 Pro ????

ALL are Legal.

Just call up MS and start giving them PIDs over the phone when 8 is released ????

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Rick, I don't know, I don't work for them? All I know is what I, like many others, have read.

Basically this is what seems to be the consensus :

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1080.....enter-too/

http://www.anandtech.com/Show/.....3999</a
>

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Thanks Irv !! :)

With this deal, there's NO REASON for anyone not having a FULL installation media device handy anymore !!!!
(Except for RT Devices)

Recovery Partitions should be a thing of the past. :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Riiiight, Rick , no one ever again will misplace/lose this original disk and their Product key. When us fixers ask them for it they will know right where it is.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Never Rick... Dell shipped my new system WITHOUT media... and they don't even SELL it anymore... You have to either create RESTORE CD's or use the Recovery Partition (which includes all apps as well).

Recovery partitions will continue I'm afraid...

Besides MS is quite clear this offer is only until 1/31/2013... who knows if they'll move the price back after that? My feeling is they want to get as many W8 users as possible, to boost the tablet market along with the phone market. After all, if you're using W8 on the PC, why not on those devices. Of course you know 'some' will wait for the first SP though.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

"Riiiight, Rick , no one ever again will misplace/lose this original disk and their Product key. When us fixers ask them for it they will know right where it is."

Yep, and I'm going to win the lottery tomorrow. ;)

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

There will always be "ding bats" around for sure ! :) :)

The dog ate my "USB Stick" type of folks. (LOL) (LOL)

Posted 2 years ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

I still can't get any definitive answer that satisfies the question, will they let me upgrade for $40 from Win8 RP? Maybe I have to buy the $70 preorder? Not sure of that either. 2 Different retailers were not able to conclusively answer it. I am not going to preorder for this reason....

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

They know what's coming. Windows 8 will probably sell less than Vista - on PCs at least.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

All of the Microsoft links I've seen say that the upgrade version applies to computers running XP, Vista or Win 7, so that fairly clearly means it doesn't include the RTM/Beta versions of Windows 8 which, of course, anyone can get for free. Most retailers don't know any more than the rest of us. Just out of interest I asked at a local PCWorld about their offer of an upgrade from Win7 to Win 8 for £15 - I asked if the system we were looking at had a certified monitor and they didn't even know about that (there are very few monitors available at the moment that are Win8 certified by the way - most fail on the besel size/design).

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!