SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Microsoft calling about updates ???

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Janie
  • Latest reply from bubbatie1
  • Topic Viewed 418 times

Janie

Within the last month or two, I have had 2 phone calls saying, "I'm calling about your computer. It isn't allowing some important Microsoft updates". I then immediately hang up on them, thinking someone is trying to get into my computer. Do you think these calls are legitimate? I am up to date with my Windows updates. I'm not sure what to believe. I am very skeptical about such phone calls. Do you know of anyone else receiving such phone calls?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Definitely not legitimate.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

Agreed, In the USA. we can report the calls. If you can you should.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/securi.....-scam.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/secur.....scams.aspx

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

Hi Janie

Ooh!! definitely a scam.... and many people have been caught out by handing over their bank details and allowing the caller to take control..
of their computer,and of course end up with a load of Virus and Trojans..
You did the right thing cutting them off..

Do NOT EVER let anyone control your computer, unless you personally know them.
Do NOT EVER listen to their blurb about they are from Microsoft, and DO NOT allow them to convince you they are by asking you to ring their number to prove who they are, as they will just stay silently and wait for you to dial and then someone answers and confirms that it is OK for you to go ahead..
IT IS NOT OK..it is all a scam, preying on good honest people.

They cannot get into to your computer unless you allow them, so dont worry, you are just a random number..

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

I once had one of those phone calls, which I found quite funny as I was running Linux at the time.

Also they really throw an 'eggy' when you call them a scammer down the phone :D

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Microsoft has a customer base of over 40 million do you really think they called you? Or care whether or not you update?

Posted 1 year ago

Janie

I figured there was NO reason why I wouldn't receive notification on my PC if I needed to update. I knew it MUST be a scam. Thank goodness, I'm no fool! LOL Thanks everybody for your input. Sure good to have some knowledgeable people to confirm my feelings. Thanks!!!

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

No probs mate :)

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead

Microsoft already have my money, why would they want to phone me now?

Posted 1 year ago

bubbatie1

thats funny youor topic.......the last 2 days i have been watching "scammers " like this on youtube. some are hilarious esp when the victim retaliates ! nthis is one vid i watched

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7NYs3Mz6pQ

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.