The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Microsoft applies for "Big Brother" DRM patent

(5 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Straspey
  • Latest reply from oldgeezer
  • Topic Viewed 367 times

Straspey

Another great post today from Martin Brinkmann, at ghacks.net, which may interest some people here:

Microsoft applies for Big Brother DRM patent

"Digital Rights Management comes in a number of forms. It can limit your ability to copy or distribute a file or media, restrict your access to a certain period of time, or limit the number of views or times you can access the data. Microsoft Corporation’s latest patent application may add another option to that list: views per user.

The patent application describes a content presentation system and method that enables content providers to regulate content presentation based on user views rather than only on time or device. The content provider may limit access to the content in a number of ways:

Limit access to the content by number of total views.
Limit access to a certain amount of views over a specified period of time.
To a number of simultaneous views.
Views limited to user age
Combinations of 1-4"

You can read the full article here:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/11/.....rm-patent/

And you can view the actual patent application, on file at the U.S. Patent Office, here:

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi.....0120278904

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Quote;

'The big question though is if consumers are willed to be tracked when they consume media and whether they are willed to pay more money for multi-user licenses.. I can only speak for myself, but I do not. I won’t be using a system that tracks me in my own home, nor will I make a purchase that is limiting the content to a certain number of users or views. I rather do without any of that before I willingly let someone else monitor me and my family.'

Quite right.

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

What Mike said!

Posted 2 years ago

Hermitt

Ditto to Mikes comment.

Posted 2 years ago

oldgeezer

What a surprise. This may well be another nail in the coffin of Windows 8 if M$ intend to force users to install everything through their store and then limit or track usage.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.