The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Microsoft announces new hardware for Windows 8

(18 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from CompWiz
  • Topic Viewed 882 times

raphoenix

"The new mice and keyboard will be released around the time of the Windows 8 launch"

http://www.computerworld.com/s.....ps+News%29

SOURCE: Computerworld

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN

No pictures yet?? Sounds kinda cool!

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

@ hArLtRoN,

Miscellaneous section, with pics : http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Although the the Device is small, I'm not sure why MS didn't put some Mini-USB ports plus a Lan connection on it.

An alternative would have been some sort of Thunderbolt connection which can daisy chain up to 7 devices.

Leave it to MS to take something as simple as the Miniature PC Pro and make it HORRIFICALLY Difficult to connect to.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

@ Rick ,

Which device(s) are you referring to ?

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN

@GS,
Thanks for link! Those look cool. I might get it for my Windows 7 PC.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

With normal USB 3.0/2.0 USB Mini-Ports, could connect any devices one may like even if adapters have to be used.

Hardwire in Mice, keyboard, Storage, Camera, cell phone, modem, DVD Burner, etc., etc....

Basically BlueTooth net work devices have very short range plus very undependable connectivity.

My large machines all have Built-in BlueTooth and their range is less than 3~5 foot.

I'd like to see some new H/W that does away with the HUGE 80~100 LB Cases Builds I'm always helping others with.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

The MS Tablets have Mini Ports.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

I Read that they will have (1) ????

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

May well be just the one, am not entirely sure, but know that they have some of the Peripheral options some better than others depending on the version.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

There will have (2) versions from what I read:

1. The RT which Cannot be modified in any way.
2. The Pro which will be something like a Mini-PC.

As I said, would like to move on from 1000 Watt PSUs, 9.5 inch Video Cards and 80 LB Cases full of Mechanical HDs. (LOL)

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

edmenje

@Rick, Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, but heavy n'est pas?

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Mais non....it levitates :)

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

@Ed,

Yeah, that's why I want MS to market a real Mini-PC which anyone can use on a coffee table. (LOL) :) :)

BTW: The picture above is just an Example from the Net.

I use ALL SSDs but the other components still make for Huge PCs.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz

So, MS is barely catching up to Apple's Mac mouse, keyboard technology?

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

I think you all missed the purpose of the 'new' h/w.

Keyboard, anyone who's used a tablet knows that you can't do real productive work with an on-screen keyboard... Logitech and others have made a niche business out of bluetooth wireless keyboard for some tablets. You can do 'real work' with those. However I question the reality of that combo, the tablet and a keyboard vs. a net or ultra book. Battery life and applications would be determining factors, and I think this is what MS is betting on. Ability to do 'work' with the same apps that you use at home or on the job. MS is hoping with the keyboard they can cash in on that.

Mice, well, if anyone has played with a tablet and W8, you know the difference. The latest drop of W8 was better with respect to usage on a PC with no touch screen, but still not the easiest to navigate around. The new 'mice' (and there is another competing mouse in the works) have that 'touch' part in them. How well it works, need to see reviews. I see Best Buy and others are now selling all-in-ones with a TOUCH display clearly advertised on some systems. No desktop bundles with a touch screen now though. I'm pretty sure that if one gets W8, you'd be tempted to get a touch mouse too. Seems odd that the h/w actually costs more than the short term proposed W8 price. I guess if sales are slow MS can bundle the two? Of course there are mice and mice, performance and comfort wise. All the ones shown are battery powered. I've had good and bad experiences with battery powered mice. A HP mouse that needed a battery every 2 weeks. Replaced that with a wired one in no time flat. A Logitech trackball my wife uses, 4 to 6 months on a single AAA battery, not bad, and my Logitech MX Revolution mouse, rechargeable, but once that dies I'd suspect I'll need to junk an expensive mouse. Hope the mice have good battery life.

I also suspect they are either trying to trump other vendors on these peripherals or couldn't interest any in doing it?

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

@CompWiz,

There's no catching up to do in micro electronics technology, just that Apple Patented everything so no competitors can break their monopoly on common stuff that's been around for years. Much like Rambus holds patents on most Ram memory technologies.

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz

I see..

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.