The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Micro sd card died.

(17 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by PUPPYDOG
  • Latest reply from PUPPYDOG
  • Topic Viewed 9768 times

PUPPYDOG

My 16gb micro sd card died on me, somewhere between taking it out of my phone and plugging it into my computer.
As soon as i plug it in my file browser freezes until i take it out.
I have managed to get everything off of it with a recovery program, but just want to know if it is possible
to get it working again?

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Can you reformat it in the phone ?

Posted 4 years ago

PUPPYDOG

No, it does not pick up that it has been inserted.
I have tried it in different phones, my pc and my laptop with a variety of card readers and adapters.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

If inserted in your PC or laptop, does anything show in Device Manager, or Disk Management.

Posted 4 years ago

PUPPYDOG

No, they just freeze the same as windows explorer, as soon as i take the card out they suddenly spring back to life.
The recovery programs pick the card up, and recovered all data off it, can't remember what i used though.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Am curios as how the recovery program was able to work. How did you launch it ?

Posted 4 years ago

PUPPYDOG

Plug card in, launch getdataback or whatever it was, select whatever drive and go.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

But you launched it from within Windows ?

Posted 4 years ago

PUPPYDOG

Yep, just thinking, is it a windows thing? if a third party non microsoft app can pick it up.
What free software is about that can possibly format it? and bring it back to life.
Tried xp pro, vista home premium and vista ultimate and they all have a problem picking it up.
Tried in phones with windows mobile 6.1 and 6.5. Have not got a non windows phone, i will try my dads
nokia later, Do they have a format option? do not know what model it is, a fairly new one though.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Maybe,
http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

Posted 4 years ago

PUPPYDOG

Looks like that is the same, stops responding until i take the card back out.
Just tried it in my phone again, it slows it right down, but i can browse the contents and open things.
It won't format it though, says make sure write protection is off or something along those lines.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

There is a little slide switch on the edge of the card. Is it in the unlocked position ?

Posted 4 years ago

PUPPYDOG

It is micro sd, no slide switch. Unless i am being blind.
I can't understand it, one second i am ready to throw it away, the next there is a glimmer of hope, then it kicks me in the face again.
I am still ready to throw it away, but i don't want to be beaten.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Is the switch on the adaptor you use on the computer ?

Posted 4 years ago

PUPPYDOG

Tried the switch both ways on the sd adaptor, also got a switchless adaptor, a couple of usb adaptors, a dedicated micro sd slot on pc, all same result. Only the phone sort of reads something and that is what gives the message about write protection ( phone takes micro sd, not sd )

Posted 4 years ago

LH

See if you can format it with Linux. I think it may be infected.
Use a live cd. This will give you an idea,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-computer/

Posted 4 years ago

PUPPYDOG

Decided to give up on the card, i just got the BSOD while trying things in CMD, just the normal things like chkdsk, and was getting the message that it could not because the file system was raw or something.
Tried again and got the BSOD, took me the last hour going through startup repair and system restores to get my laptop running again because it would not start up, even in safe mode, just got the BSOD flash up before restarting my laptop. (did not even give me time to see the stop error code)
So before i kill my laptop again i have decided to give up, and will shortly be blow torching the card just to make sure it is dead.
Thanks for the help though, i really appreciate it.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.