The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

MHTML and Hyperlinks

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Sabby
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 717 times

Sabby

I have a MHTML file that I am trying to link to folders on our network drive. When I am editing the file in Word, I can click the link and it opens the corresponding file. As soon as I save it and open it in IE, the link doesn't work anymore.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am able to do? This file was created before my time as the Admin at my job. It worked at one time but has now stopped. I am a novice when it comes to this type of file so I am trying to do my best, but I am at a loss as to why this is not working.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

It depends where in IE you paste it. If e.g. you paste it into a reply box here, it would not render because the forum engine does not have this capability. Other forum engines can do that - e.g. this one: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/forum.php

Posted 1 year ago

Sabby

It used to pop up another window containing the folder that it was linked to, I assume this is no longer something IE allows a MHTML document to do? Im not sure why it stopped doing that. I see if I right click the hyperlinked text in IE I can "Copy Shortcut" and paste in the window and that will work. This is suppose to be a simplistic listing of all our project names that an employee can just open the MHTML file and click to automatically bring them to that file containing all the projects documents. Ive also tried to click and open the link in Firefox - it opens up the file but again, the links only work if you copy and paste...

Thank you for your time/help, I really appreciate the answer(s)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The way I do this is to make the list of hyperlinks in Word, then I store the Word document as PDF and upload it to Skydrive. If you open the Skydrive link with a PDF enabled browser (e.g. Chrome), you open it (right click on the box) and can directly click on the listed links.

Example: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=475a0a48ca6d4035&provision=1&ref=3&wa=wsignin1.0&sa=412485191#cid=475A0A48CA6D4035&id=475A0A48CA6D4035%211844

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.