The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

mht files won't open - I get do you want to save this file

(8 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by newyorkgirl
  • Latest reply from SarahJames
  • Topic Viewed 1968 times

newyorkgirl

I am running vista 32, Explorer 8, Outlook 2003, Kaspersky Anti virus, I'm on a wired home network with modem,Toshiba Satellitecomputer. I've been saving and opening mht files everyday. Today I turned on my laptop and none of the mht files will open. A window pops up that asks "Do you want to save this file?" When I hit cancel the window closes. When I hit save, another window tells me "I already have a file by that name, do I want to replace it? " Whether I choose yes or no, doesn't matter, the file won't open. I use these files for work. I'm upset can any one help me? I'm not familiar with blogs and forums so please be patient if I don't understand some protocols.

Thanks

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

newyorkgirl hi. What program do you normally use to open .mht files ?

Posted 3 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi newyorkgirl,

This is a tricky one. It had me looking for the solution for ages (I had it too about a year ago) and I still don't know what really fixed it.
The problem is that in Vista this is a systemcontrolled extension, so you can't change it yourself.
Therefore the easiest solution would be if you could go back to a systemrestore point from before the problem started.

Do you know how to restore a restorepoint? If not we'll provide instructions.
And just to be sure: back up your personal files.
Windows claims it will not alter those files, but sometimes it does anyway. So better to be safe than sorry.

Posted 3 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Doesn't Microsoft word 2010 open them?

Posted 3 years ago

newyorkgirl

Thank you, everyone. I don't know how to reply to each of you seperately. So, 1. I guess I usually use Internet Explorer. 2.I will try the system restore, but I hate to do it.
3. I don't have Microsoft Word 2010 so I can't use it. Plus it doesn't give me a choice of which program I'd like to use.

Thanks, If anyone has anymore ideas please let me know.

Posted 3 years ago

newyorkgirl

I did the system restore and it didn't help. I also check the default and Internet Explorer is the default program.

Posted 3 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

I would try downloading Opera and using that browser instead its made for these things :)

http://www.opera.com/

Posted 3 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

It should be your default browser. I posted a link in your other post about this, though I'm afraid it will be a tough nut to crack :(

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!