How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Mending Outlook .pst file while in Ubuntu

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by haveronjones
  • Latest reply from haveronjones
  • Topic Viewed 833 times

haveronjones

Hi,

Having learned through this excellent site how to create an Ubuntu LiveCD and use it to recover files from a badly crashed Windows 7 x64 laptop, I have one final problem. The main Outlook .pst file for my profile (which I last backed up about a month before the fatal Windows 7 crash) will not move from the laptop to my NAS drive owing to an input / output error.

If the file has indeed become corrupted, I would ordinarily use the Scan PST utility in Outlook to see if it can be fixed - but since I cannot boot the Windows OS, that option isn't available.

Can anyone suggest either (a) a tool for moving the file from the laptop HD to the NAS drive that will bypass the I/O error that is preventing the same; or (b) some application or tool I can use for mending the PST file while still running Ubuntu from the LiveCD?

I guess one variation on the second of these would be to install Ubuntu fully - so if that would give me a wider range of possibilities, I would be willing to try it.

Thanks!
Tim

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

haveronjones hi, have you tried copying to a flash drive or SD card instead?

Your NAS drive may not like the live cd.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

haveronjones

Hi Mike,

I will certainly give that a try, although 99% of the other files I have moved in the same manner (i.e. over the network) have not posed any problems.

If all else fails I guess I can restore the .pst from my backup and only lose a month's worth of email - and since it is my personal account rather than my business account that wouldn't be the end of the world. But it is a chunky file and the backup is to the cloud, so I would prefer it if I could find a fix instead.

Thanks!
Tim

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.