The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - memory limits / memory check on startup

(3 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by dkaopu
  • Latest reply from dkaopu
  • Topic Viewed 916 times

dkaopu

I have an old HP Pavilion N5190 (Pentium 3) running Windows XP and wanted to expand the memory beyond 256MB. The user manual and site state that the maximum memory is 256MB. I installed a 512MB SODIMM chip in place of the 128MB chips and the machine went into a continuous do-loop during the POST; it would start and then a few seconds later restart. Can someone explain how the BIOS knows whether the amount of RAM is consistent with the machine specs and can that number be changed in the BIOS to expand the memory domain. I haven't seen any articles or forums that explains how the BIOS actually checks the installed memory and how it knows whether it's adequate or not. I have read a post somewhere that alludes to the fact that the memory is somehow limited by the page address of virtual memory and that the virtual memory page address can be altered. I really would like to expand the machine RAM to 1GB to reduce virtual page (ie.; hard drive) usage and improve the machine performance. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Welcome dkaopu,

Sorry to say but the memory issue on your laptop machine is a hardware limitation which is too complex to go into without great technical detail. (Hardware Architecture - Chipset, Address Lines, Memory Chip Density, Banks, Refresh Timing, Etc., Etc., Etc.)

HP Pavilion N5190
SpecificationsBanks: 2
Chipset: Intel 440ZXM-100
Fixed RAM: 0MB
Maximum RAM: 256MB
Sockets: 2
Speed: PC-100
Standard RAM: 64MB

It is what it is.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

dkaopu

Thanks for the info Rick. Guess it's time to get a bigger, better, faster machine.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!