How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Memory Diagnostic - Problems Detected

(2 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by jonesg
  • Latest reply from Aguro
  • Topic Viewed 3631 times

jonesg

Hi,

I'm not much of a techie and so I've come up against a bit of a brick wall with this. I had some problems with my computer (running Win7) with starting up. I tried Windows repair and system restore but they both failed several times and after fiddling around a bit found the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and decided to give it a spin to see if it would help me work out what was going wrong. Lo and behold it quickly informed me that "Hardware problems were detected" and that I should "contact the computer manufacturer". Unfortunately my computer is a custom built model and there is no way for me to easily take it back to the small shop that built it (my having since moved a fair distance away).

So now to my real question: what I want to know is whether there is any way for this tool to specify further as to what the problem with the memory is. Is it a single memory slot failing? Is it the built in memory on the motherboard failing? (I saw a mention of this on another website). Are there multiple memory failures? Any help you could give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Gabe.

P.s. Sorry I can't give any more information on my computers specs but for obvious reasons I can't access dxdiag. (Not sure if such information would be necessary but it seems to be the first thing people ask for when trying to solve a problem over a forum).

Posted 4 years ago

Aguro
Aguro

Try memtest86+
this site has detailed instructions

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.