media center build - need feedback

(18 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by 0zSpitt
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1078 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

0z,
Looks good but again, I don't know when P6T series MBs based on X58 chipset with new Socket 1366 will be released.
Everything I read says soon.
Here is a short write-up from August and there is more on the net during September.
http://news.softpedia.com/news.....4548.shtml
I've been caught before when Intel changed Sockets and it gets (expensive) real fast to have to make another Build within a couple of months !!!! Of course all of this is up to you.
ScottW knows Home Entertainment so I'm sure you'll want his comments on that usage.
As for me, I'm going to wait on Socket 1366 CPUs and Boards and of course will (over spec) everything.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

actually i'm trying to match up this dell xps i have. i asked about the q66oo cpu and found out dell has blocked me from doing anything to the bios except minor things. i can't add to the dell mother board or remove. i'm kind of stuck with what they sold me. ill sell it...
in a few months i'll be bored and do something else to the new one. i'm not sure about the graphics card, i'm not a gamer. i have an ati 2600 (i think) around here some where just in case.
one other thing, i don't understand anything in the first line you wrote ~~~>? I don't know when P6T series MBs based on X58 chipset with new Socket 1366 will be released.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

0z,
It is my understanding from reading trade news that Intel will change CPU Sockets and come out with a new chipset series shortly. Due date was suppose to be in November but November is here and haven't got any new information.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i wasn't sure if you meant my stuff wouldn't match up.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

0z,
Here is list of CPUs and Sockets.
http://users.erols.com/chare/current_cpus.htm
http://usershttp://users.erols.....ockets.htm

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

0z,

Looks like date for release of X58 chipset with new Socket 1366 CPUs is around November 17th, 2008 !!!!
Hold off on that Build.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Hey, did someone say my name? You know, I am a home theater buff. I suppose my secret was bound to come out someday!

Oz, what do you mean by "Media Center Build"? This is not what most people do for an HTPC. Usually, it's a low-profile case with fewer fans, to decrease noise. For something that will go in the living room, or wherever your home theater is, most people want quiet. However, I can see from your parts list that the usual HTPC is not what you have in mind. And, where is the Blu-ray Disc (BD) player/writer?!? :-)

Anyway, back to the parts. Even though you are not a gamer, I think you should take one step up on the graphics card to one with a 3850 GPU at least. A 3800 series GPU will give more oomph, not just for playing games but also for accelerated playback of high-def video. Looking at the specs at ATI, the 3650 does seem to have a lot of good features so maybe it's good enough. The Rosewill PSU doesn't mention an 80plus certification. The specs do say >80% efficiency, so why would they not go for certification? Then again, I don't know if 80plus is meaningful or just marketing hype. I need to investigate that Asus TV Tuner card. Other than that, it all looks good.

Rick, I hope you're not holding your breath waiting for the i7 from Intel. I wouldn't want you to suffocate.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@ScottW,
Well, like I said; Been caught by Intel before right before a release so am going to wait if these old machines can hold out. They burned me bad on Rambus Ram Machines serveral years ago. Still got the old boards lying around in the "junk room" full of memory.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

haha i'm still using a P4 3.0 ghz proc. sock 478 haha

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@jack,

Want to buy a box full of hardly used Generation I SATA HDs ???? (LOL) (LOL) (LOL)
(10) to a box. (LOL) (LOL) (LOL)

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

haha i have no sata either lol i'm a bit behind on my gear lol

at least i have a somewhat newer graphics card and ddr2 ram haha

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

the asus tv tuner came with my xps, so far its worked perfectly. i do have dual dvd/cd writer drives for "things". the rosewill was a package deal, it was reduced $150, but i had an antec power supply originally.
what i meant by media center is i get movies and save them. i use WMC, WMM, Sony vegas studio, etc. and burn to disk as requested. i can always upgrade as needed. i will switch graphics cards and hit the "send" button, i just wanted to be sure what i was getting would all work together.
i also don't know what HTPC is :P

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Oz, sorry to be vague. HTPC is Home Theater PC, which is usually a low-profile, low-noise PC that is used in a home theater. Very cool stuff, but somewhat of a niche market.

So, you took the TV card out of the Dell. Do you have the TotalMedia software that comes with it? Or, do you just use Media Center? Can you watch an over-the-air (OTA) digital TV (DTV) signal with it? I did a little research on the card, but didn't find much. Maybe because it's primarily used as an OEM card. The review at overclockersclub seems to be the only one around as every other mention I found points back to it:
http://www.overclockersclub.co.....i_tvtuner/

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

That site has a "hechva" of start web page. On a wide screen monitor, it will "blind" you !!!! (LOL) (LOL) (LOL)
http://www.overclockersclub.co.....i_tvtuner/
Nice Site.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i can watch over the air with it but i've connected my cable tv service to it instead. i use windows media center to watch/record tv, listen to music, etc. it does pick up digital and maybe analog. i haven taken anything out of the dell, i'll keep it like it was when i bought it so i can sell it easier. (i hope)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Rick, apparently it is safe to hold your breath for the Intel i7 -- the release is imminent and you can pre-order now:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1392.....ag=nl.e703

I wonder who will be first on the bleeding edge of this technology. New processor, new socket (LGA1366), new chipset (X58), new motherboard and 3 sticks of DDR3 RAM in a triple-channel configuration. May you live in interesting times!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@ScottW,
You know I've been saying to all that it was coming but just couldn't get a good handle on when.

Remember I put a picture up on-line of the Asus Prototype maybe a month ago in one of these Check My Build Topics.

I imagine if the first boards appear to be good, I'll make one more atrocious Build just to be able to say I did it.

Probably leave it to charity or give it to my Son as my Spouse really doesn't care too much for this hobby either after all these years.

Costing for the Build will come in way, way (under) what Falcon Computer charges customers to build a machine for.

I've never understood why more folks don't build their own equipment such as we do.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:) :) :)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.