SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

McAfee & windows 7 Virus scan takes days. Are they compatible??

(14 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by pinguino1
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 7035 times

pinguino1

I got a new Windows 7/64 system with Norton. I un-installed Norton becasue I get McAfee included with with my MSN service.
The full virus scan takes 48 hours for just 37%. I have to stop it. McAfee works well in all my other systems (XP)
I un-installed it and installed again wioth no result.
I google it and I found a lot of people with the same problem but NO Answer?
Is McAfee compatible with Windows 7?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

pinguino1,
---
Welcome to HTG.
---
Uninstall COMPLETELY McAfee.
---
Install this and keep up to date.
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC
InterPC

Also report the problem to McAfee to see if the problem can be rectified.

Posted 4 years ago

studio
studio

I have Mcafee on my windows 7/64 bit ultimate and it works fine. My brother has windows 7/64bit Home Premium and it also works fine. I don't really know how to fix this but if you just scan the whole computer (this will take about a week from what you have told us). It usually takes a long time the first time especially if your hard drive is extremely full. I have it with Windows 7 that my autodesk products get it caught up and I just skip these items. I also have this with my XP machine.

As far as I can tell Mcafee works fine with windows 7...

Ryan

Posted 4 years ago

pinguino1

Thanks raphoenix,
I'm inclined to do that. My hesitaion is that I feel that The MS Security essencials is just an antivurus while McAfee (if it works) provides has additional security services.

Posted 4 years ago

pinguino1

InterPC,
McAfee service is not the easiest one to comunicate. I tried with a McAfee comunity forum. Some other people have the same problem with no answer.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

pinguino1,

Win7 has Good Firewall plus MS has Good FREE AV with Security Essentials THAT WORKS.

All you need is FREE Ccleaner and Spywarebaster to keep machine in Great Shape.
http://www.javacoolsoftware.co.....aster.html
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
Both use NO real-time resources.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

pinguino1

Studio (Ryan),
I have a laptop w/ intel Core Duo 2.2 Mhz with Windows home premium 7/64, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, it is not full, I have 250 GB free. About 150 GB is just music and pictures and videos
I un-installed and installed McAfee again to no avail.
I did noticed most of the time (days) is scaning the User\username\Appdata\ folder for jpg files. It takes an un-usual long time on each file and the file names look like this: \Appdata........EFD5D68EC18CD2FF4BDE.jpg
The problem is that it doesn't show the entire path. I tried to manually to locate those files in the Appdata folder but I didn't have the time to follow hundreds and hundreds of folders and subfolders.
Appdata has three subfolders Local, Local low and Roaming all of them seem to have data for the programs installed in my laptop. They don't seem to have picture files.
I never finished any scan beyond 40% because I use the laptop a lot on the road and McAffe slows down my work (90 to 100% CPU)
I backup my files to a removable external drive; it is not connected during scaning because that would make things worst.

Posted 4 years ago

pinguino1

Thanks again raphoenix,
I will check those links and consider. Because after more than 10 years of using McAfee it is frustrating me. And the options and configuration are too limited to make it work for me.

Posted 4 years ago

amkeew
amkeew

I have used norton, mcafee, kaspersky, avg et.al. over years and found that all of them hog your system resources and slow down the computer considerably. Thanks to HTG, I discovered MSE and now, as Rick says, with MSE and CCleaner and spywareblaster and spybot-sd resident, the computer performance is greatly enhanced.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Win7 x64 and McAfee suite, works fine although some full scans can take time, but I've got over .75TB's of data for it to scan. Sometimes it can take a few hours. One thing I do find is that if I switch over to a game or DOS session, the A/V scan STOPS and it takes some time to pickup again if I don't do it manually, stretching the scan time sometimes significantly.

Last full scan took 4 1/2 hours, scanned over 305,000 files and almost 136,000 registry entries.

Engine version is 5301.4018 .

I'm running the Security Center ver. 9.15 and A/V in it is 10.15.104.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

penguino1, the slow scan is due to large (.jpg) picture files, and I don't know if after a full scan, that McCafee would repeat the process all over again on the next full scan (I think it would). As mentioned before, MSE is good, and I'm using it on my Win 7 w/DualCore processor. You are equipped well in the hardware dept (RAM, etc), so if you want to keep McAfee, let it finish a full scan, then use 'Quick Scan" which won't go to your picture files (I don't think: somebody correct me if I'm wrong), and use the right click function to scan new pictures or files incoming.

Posted 4 years ago

studio
studio

GKI610 is correct. Also I did a full scan on my computer which has about 250GB of stuff on it. I was doing word processing and scanning the net and after about 8 hours I had just finished 70% of the scan. Doing the full scan chews through battery power on my computer :) As mentioned by GKI610 I don't have that many images compared to the rest of the data and it did take a while to scan the images (all my internet downloads).

Was just wondering if you have a laptop or a desktop? A laptop is known to take a lot longer with scanning the whole computer, for I had the same amount of data on a Desktop machine (approximately the same amount of files) which only took half the time to scan the whole computer and I was doing the same sort of stuff at the same time.

If I were you I would stick to McAfee for it is known to be a lot better program then any free ware program like MSE (well that is what McAfee says anyway), and this security software only slows down the computer during updates or full scans. Any security program would probaly be the same. I have tried many programs such as AVG, Norton, MSE and a few others (this was about 3 years ago) and they slowed down my computer considerably which I did not like so I then bought McAfee which has served me fine ever since. At the place that I work (part-time) they have Mcafee on all their computers and they say that it is an excellent program that doesn't slow down their computers at all.

Also I would recommend that you do a full scan of your computer and just 'pause' the scan when you need the extra little bit of power for whatever you are doing.

hope this helps...

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Laptops generally take longer because the disk generally is slower, 5,400 RPM vs. 7,200 RPM.

You have to look at the same 'year' A/V or Suite from different vendors. Each year they all improve usability generally. Almost any when compared to how they operated 2 or 3 years ago will be better. In addition, if you've upgraded your computer, even the older ones would work better.

I've got McAfee and my wife has Norton, even with out computers having different spec's, I wouldn't call one better than the other. I can't even say which is less intrusive? Most have settings you can customize to avoid messages and warnings.

Free suites, I don't know? The few I've used seemed OK? However, security suites are relatively cheap. I got a 3 year deal with my computer for $40, and my wife's Norton was free after rebates. Somehow I just feel (probably wrong) that one that you pay for have better support (not really) and react faster to threats. Just my feeling, no hard data.

The real test is how much system resources does it use AND does it 'slow' you down? High capacity fast system, all probably would pass this test. Slow older system, some might work better than others. Second test is does it PROTECT you against new threats... and there is no way ahead of time to know this. Bottom line I guess is that if you have a dual core of better processor, fast hard drives, and sufficient RAM, almost any will do, free or fee.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!