How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

math problem debate

(15 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Latest reply from BobJam
  • Topic Viewed 1088 times

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

so one of my friends asked me this today and am wondering if anyone knows the answer to it?

here it goes

ok so if 1/3 = .33333......

then would 1/3 * 3 = 1

or would it equal .99999999.......

i think that it equals 1 but i'm not really sure any more

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Take a stand, man !
Does 3/3 = 1 or not?

•><((((º>
><((((º> •...><((((º>
•...><((((º>

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i'm not really sure lol :E

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Jack, the notation 0.333... is a mathematical shortcut for writing in decimal a fraction that has an infinite number of decimal places. You read it as, "point 3, 3, 3 repeating forever". If you continue to work with fractions, it's quite clear that:

1/3 * 3 = 1

This is read as "one third times three equals one." It is not as obvious in decimal, but it's still true that:

.333... * 3.0 = 1.0

Reading, "point 3, 3, 3, repeating forever times three point zero equals one point zero". It's just hard to wrap your head around an infinitely repeating decimal.

EDIT: proof of this is left to the reader. Also, check your calculator because it knows the answer as well.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ok thats exactly what i thought i will show this to my friend lol

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Hey ScottW! What's with this "repeating forever"? I thought the word was "recurring"? :)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I can't believe this - is this for real?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

One third's reality, two thirds don't know :)

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

POST DELETED by raphoenix 09/12/2008

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Lighthouse, repeating, recurring. I guess we will have to agree to be separated by a common language. :)

Jack, while looking up "repeating decimal" at wikipedia, I saw that they have a special discussion on 0.999... including a proof that it's equal to 1. Check this math out folks:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.....0.99999...

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

my brain hurts too much to think about this math at the moment i've been doing homework since i woke up this morning lol so like 6-8 hrs blah

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

.3333333333333333333333333333...... is the approximate value of 1/3, as 1/3 is an irrational number (like pi or 2^.5).

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

@ScottW. Thanks, I figured it might have been an American versus English thing, but wasn't sure.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

People can be irrational, life can be irrational, now you are telling me that numbers can be irrational? Is there no sanity in the world?!? :-)

Pi and the square root of 2 (2 ^ .5) are irrational numbers because they cannot be represented by the fraction of two integers. The fraction 1/3 is certainly a rational number, as is .333... because it can be represented as a rational. From Wikipedia: "The decimal expansion of an irrational number never repeats....":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I.....expansions

"Math class is tough. Let's go shopping!" -- Barbie Doll

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

"I guess we will have to agree to be separated by a common language." Paraphrasing Winston Churchill, you are ScottW (and that is in Joda-speak).

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.