SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Manually arrange folders in windows 7..nope !?

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Winamplidude
  • Latest reply from Winamplidude
  • Topic Viewed 2554 times

Winamplidude

Hello,
I guess until now that's a big nope to me ain' it ? In vista I would have just dragged the folder into the desired position but this doesn't work in windows 7. .. Any idea how that can be done ? (I'm not talking about the desktop folders please note). I googled it and some say it can't be done in 7, they somehow omitted it. Why would they somehow omit or remove this very useful and touchingly harmless thing ?

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I'm not sure what you mean?

Do you mean when you move an icon on the desktop to a position you desire it will not stay and reverts to the old position?

Do you mean using Windows Explorer moving folders from one folder to another?

If the first, you probably have the desktop set to AUTO ARRANGE. RMB on an empty space on the desktop, select VIEW and turn off AUTO ARRANGE.

If this is an Explorer problem, you probably don't have rights to write to the folder you are trying to place it in? To do that, you must TAKE OWNERSHIP of the target folder.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Winamplidude

Thanks for answering but what did I say ?.. please note that I'm not talking about the desktop folders ! For example I open my D drive and want to dragg the "music" folder (which shows first in line) to the end of the folders list after the "movies" folder..just because I like them in that order..it's all about customizing isn't it ? I don't want to move anything just to rearrange them..it seems this feature is gone.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!