How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Manteinance Manual

(11 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by GaardCeteru
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1339 times

GaardCeteru
GaardCeteru

Anyone here agrees with me that when ANYONE sells you a computer it should also bring a fool-proof manteinance guide?... I say because I just noticed how usual it is for.. well.. most of people having problems with their computer for not doing system manteinance at least every once in a while!

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

What would you like to "maintain"? Oil the RAM from time to time and grease the eSATA.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I would guess things like Defrag, Malware Scans and Backups.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

wats wrong with oiling your ram from time to time :)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

jd, I have to say for once HP did a good job. They provide plenty of guides in the Help and Support section. There is probably too much info rather than too little. I think GaardCeteru is looking for a 3 to 5 page summary that the average user is able to read.
PS. GaardCeteru, I hope you were not offended by me pulling your leg a little with my previous post.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

When I retired Putzer IV, I passed him along to a friend (read sold), along with the book for the Mobo. Of course he has my number and email and I only had to give him support once w00t!!

And for the record whs, you grease the RAM and oil the (e)SATA!!!11!1!!

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I would not recommend oiling the (e)SATA. The oil gets in the grooves and makes the needle skate.

Posted 6 years ago

GaardCeteru
GaardCeteru

@whs: dont worry i didnt get mad, I actually rofl'd at it. But yeah.. I mean some sort of anything that tells people to scan for malware fixes and all of that, tips on how to do it and stuff something like *Do this every two weeks max or your computer may explode and kill you on the way* hehe..

The reason why I say it is because I know a lot of people that never do anything to keep their computers in shape (you know, exersise and all... haha XD just kidding) my sister is the closest example of it, only time her computer ends up running as it is supposed to run (top speed, system not getting haged for 20 min. at startup and no error messages) is when every 2-4 months I sit on it because I have to.. and since I am a good person and resident geek of the house I have to do the cleanup and stuff for her.. not to mention the problems I hear or see in the computers of my friends in university. I just think it should be mandatory for the user to be obligated to take care of their own computer... sure there's still be computer with problems... just not that many computers with problems!!!

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

@GaardCeteru, Finally, another woman who is the resident geek of the house and neighborhood! (I know the "real" geeks will find this hard to believe, but in my circles, I'm considered "the geek") Friends and neighbors mainly have the same problems you speak of and I'm the go-to person. What I do is pin all the important maintenance tools to the start menu so they don't have to search for them. Then I try to put them on an automated schedule. If they don't have adequate spyware/antivirus/firewall, I download free trials for them. If all else fails, I tell them: "If you don't run these scans once a week, your computer will die and I won't fix it!" Making the maintenance easy to find and understand has worked for me.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

GaardCeteru, You are making a fair point. But as techgranny says: You have to implement your own disciplines. And what's good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander. Especially in the area of security, things change so rapidly that you have to constantly stay abreast of the developments. I have "clients" too that never do any maintenance - mainly because they do not understand what a computer is and think it is an appliance. There are companies out there that make a lot of money with those people. That's why this Forum (and others) provide a "community service" to help. But those in need have to find us first and be able to ask the right questions - not obvious either.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I could do with a Maintenance Manual for for me. But then again. I would never keep to it.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!