How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

mandypinecone question

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by elpaelpa
  • Latest reply from elpaelpa
  • Topic Viewed 944 times

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

I haven't seen mandy on here lately and have a question about landscaping/plants I would like her or someone to respond to.I think she's something to do with gardening?I need to know what type plant would be easy to plant/seed on a very steep bank.Must be inexpensive,fast growing and not a bee caller as the bank is about 3ft from a swimming pool.The bank is about 10 ft high,made of clay and rock.Climate is Central PA.TKS--Tom

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

She does do gardening, yes.

I think she might be offline for a few days because they are in the process of moving, but I'm sure she'll respond when she gets back online.

Posted 5 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

Thankyou-BTW:You look better without the hat!

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

From Amanda,

"Please give me a day or two to unpack my gardening books. I'll check your zone for the right plants and get back to you".

Thank you Geek.

Posted 5 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

Amanda-Thankyou.No hurry!Hope the move is a good one (moving is never fun). Tom

Posted 5 years ago

mandypinecone
mandypinecone

I've got a couple quick questions for you. How much sun light does this site get? and Do you what some sort of color year around?

Reply anytime, it may be a day before I can reply.
Amanda

Posted 5 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

Amanda-Full sun until very late afternoon.Color doesn't really matter.I see a wild fern growing in some areas as I drive the roads,they probably need a damp location(?).As an expensive option, can blue rug junipers be planted vertical? No rush replying, the pool is in the process of being installed and I have all fall. :)

Posted 5 years ago

mandypinecone
mandypinecone

Tom,
After thinking about plants and looking through my books, I think a Rock Garden would look good next to your pool. If it was me, I'd pick up the shrubs now and the rest of your plants next spring. One thing you would want to do is mix compost with your soil, to help with drainage. Next spring you could check with your local community gardens, on when they're having plant sales.
Amanda

Plant List

Posted 5 years ago

mandypinecone
mandypinecone

I'm not sure how close these are to you?
http://www.pennsylvaniahorticu.....vents.html

This might help you:
http://horticulture.psu.edu/node/202#inservice

Posted 5 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

Yes,my wife has mentioned a rock garden.This one looks very inviting!Yours? Thanks for the plant list.I'm still stuck with a 'U' shaped 10ft cliff about 3ft from the end of the pool with the pool inside the U. A retaining wall would be costly as the pool is 18X40 an the U is (naturally) on three sides.The center of the U is 10ft and gradually slopes down to nothing at the feet of the shoe.A solid concrete wall,lightly tinted a light earth color would look good,especially with some kind of green vine growing up it (the pool is a stone gray with a trace of blue).I don't even want to think about cost! We are about 1hr from Penn State-in fact, Penn ST. might hold the answer.If you think of something please let me know!Tom

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!