The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

making SLI technology work

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by vigliottec
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 2047 times

vigliottec

if im going to buy a nVidia GeForce 8800 GT and i want the SLI technology to work and i want to spend less then 200$ on a motherboard any suggestions as to what motherboards i should be looking at???

Posted 5 years ago

Antman
Antman

If you scroll down a little towards the $200 mark you should find some good ones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....der=PRICED

Posted 5 years ago

vigliottec

without a SLI motherboard am i loosing somthing "amazing" ??

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Yes -- amazingly expensive, amazingly power hungry, and amazingly hot. Probably amazingly noisy, too. The whole double graphics card setup, whether SLI or CrossFireX, is for the hardcore gamers whose primary use is running the most recent games, especially shooters. You mentioned the games you play -- sims and RTS -- so you are not in that category. Another thing that is important to the hardcore gamers is framerate because most of them play online and a higher framerate can lead to a higher frag rate.

Posted 5 years ago

vigliottec

i just want to make sure i make a computer that will last long enough to be upgraded once instead of replaced right away

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@vigliottec but when you build your own system it is a lot easier to upgrade things and i think what you are going for will suit you above your needs

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!