The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

making function keys into hotkeys?

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by indieartie
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 1539 times

indieartie

So I bought a new hp notebook, a dv5 1003nr, and I have had many hardware issues w/ the machine ever since I purchased it.
The machine was "repaired" and it still had many of the same issues afterwards.
Anyways, one of the issues is the volume touchpad has never functioned properly after MANY atempts to troubleshoot the issue, so I am trying to figure out if there is any way to assign the volume up and down actions to an already taken fn key or possibly any other hotkey even though I have no macro keys that can be assigned on the notebook??? I am a hotkey kind of person, so it annoys the crap out of me to have to mouse over the volume icon in the system tray everytime i want to change the volume on the notebook. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

indieartie, hello. First of all, what OS do you have on that system? This topic is in the Windows 7 forum, but I'm guessing it's just misplaced. Tell us the OS and we will move the topic to the proper forum for you.

As for the volume, and other functions, did you try installing the latest Synaptics Touchpad driver and the HP Quickplay Buttons driver from HP support? I expect that would have been part of "many" troubleshooting attempts, but just want to be thorough.

Posted 5 years ago

indieartie

Running Windows 7 as of about a week ago. Was using vista home premium, but I have had a lot of compatibility issues with some of the software that I regularly use when I was on vista, so I figured I would give the Windows 7 beta a try.
Yes, I have installed all the drivers from HP's support site, and that is not the issue. When the comp was "repaired" at hp, they told me that it was indeed hardware related. And I could just get the comp replaced, but I live in the Philippines, so it is a big deal to get things shipped to their repair center in TN. Even though the notebook is still under warranty, I don't really mind that the touch buttons do not work, Because like I said previously, I am a hotkey kind of person, and I would much rather use the keyboard for everything than any touch buttons or a mouse. I would really just like to know if there is any way to reassign shortcuts on a notebook like the function keys or possibly + and - buttons really anything, other than making a shortcut on the desktop to sndvol.exe and assigning it to a ctrl + alt hotkey. I want to actually assign volume up to one key and volume down to another.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

OK, understood. My first thought would be to use a program such as NirCmd to issue changesysvolume commands for up and down. Create shortcuts to the up command and down command and set a hotkey for each.

Since you are a self-described hotkey kind of person, I would think you would have a hotkey manager of some kind. I don't use one, but The Geek is a big fan of Autohotkey, and has several articles on this site that reference it. For example, how to use UAC with Autohotkey would probably come in handy with Win7.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.