How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Making a few UI changes

(44 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 6114 times

thegeek
The Geek

Nothing should go down, just making a few UI changes. Don't mind me =)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

And I was wondering why I lost a long posting because "the website was not available".

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Well that wasn't the UI changes... I put in code to randomly explode when you post =P

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Feel free to post any thoughts on the changes in here.

I'm trying to make things more friendly and readable, but I'm also preparing for some of the additional features that will be added in the future.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Very nice!!! This format may generate a lot more pages though because it makes such generous use of space. But I am sure you have some more things in mind to fill the blue ribbons. I guess the size of the ribbon is driven by the size of the avatars. The colors look very stylish - like from the "Geek Corporation".

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Still have a lot of tweaking to do, and I'm going to tackle the front/forum list pages... going to add original poster to the thread list, per your suggestion.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Interesting. I was about to post a topic about a bug with the style sheet not being right.
I now see the change is on purpose.
This name on top instead of left is going to take a little while to get used to.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I also changed the logo at the top of the screen to link to the forums homepage, instead of the site homepage.

I think that's more consistent, it's been annoying me for a while.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

My mouse is complaining about all the extra scrolling :)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Hi Geek, two more suggestions:
1. On the page "Latest Discussion on all Forums" it is not easy to navigate to the next page like i.e. on the Vista forum with 1 2 3 ....45 on the bottom of the page
2. On the same latest discussion page a lot of space is taken on the bottom by "Forums - Main Theme". Maybe that should have it's own page especially as more themes will probably be added. would make the Discussion page longer.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Good suggestions.

Let's open up the thread, any more suggestions?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

One more: the grey area on the top of the page where it says "Started by, Latest reply from" : if the name of the poster was in a different color like e.g. green (especially for treehugger Taybay), it would be more readable. Some of these people have names like product keys. The black and blue is too monotonous. But that is a nit.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Good point... I'm not real thrilled with the look of that box.

Nitpick away, this is the chance to get the little stuff changed too =)

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

I really don't like the whole bar above each post. I feel like it makes it harder to distinguish between who is saying what. There was a flow in the original style, one post after another. Now you have to look at a post, look at the member bar, then see the next post. It's distracting. I'm a big fan of phpbb forums, where there's a sidebar with all the member info, and the post is directly to the right or left of it. What I might suggest is keep the blue/white theme, but use it to alternate the colors of each post to differentiate. I realize you can't switch to phpbb, but you could emulate it, I'm sure.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I agree with Taybay, it doesn't flow like it used to, but having alternate colors is also distracting

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I'm going to make a few more changes tonight to the theme... then we can put it up to a vote... if everybody hates it, we can roll back to the old theme.

Posted 6 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

I like it. It flows just fine for me and it's easy to tell who posted what.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

I wouldn't want to roll back necessarily. I like the idea of changing it around, I just think it could be improved. Also, I know this probably isn't next on your priority list, but Lighthouse was talking about changing page colors. If it's possible, could we maybe have a personal option of changing the colors in our personal settings? Just throwing the idea out there, I don't want to throw too much at you at once =P

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

> 1. On the page "Latest Discussion on all Forums" it is not easy to navigate to the next page like i.e. on the Vista forum with 1 2 3 ....45 on the bottom of the page
I agree with that idea. I've been meaning to suggest it for a while now.
I also agree with taybay on the top bar. I like the left bar better.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Honestly, there are two priorities I've got with the changes:

1) Move things around to support the new features coming.
2) Make the forum more easy to use for everybody.

On the second item, I'm trying to improve the navigation... the latest discussion page is definitely a sore spot, in fact the whole forums homepage needs improvement in a bunch of areas.

I definitely want your input on how the forum should look/navigate.

As far as making the design look similar to other forums, here's an example of a PHPBB3 topic:
http://www.phpbb.com/community.....8;t=685705

Here's an example of Ubuntu Forums, which is where I got the idea for styling:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35033

I don't think either one of them are perfect... I want to reduce clutter as much as possible while keeping things functional. I think the phpbb theme is really cluttered, and it has the user information in more than one spot.

Here's an example of a Google Groups thread, which I think is extremely functional and fairly clean looking:
http://groups.google.com/group.....ad4e1201bd

I especially love how you can "Star" topics in Google Groups, similar to gmail... it's just an excellent way to keep track of which threads you are on. That's one of the features I wanted to add to our forum.

Thoughts?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!