How-To Geek Forums / Apple / OS X

Make Windows Look Like Mac - Collaborative Effort from HTG Users

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by jmcguire
  • Latest reply from Hatryst
  • Topic Viewed 5717 times

jmcguire
jmcguire

We have all seen tutorial after tutorial on "How to make your Windows XP/Vista computer look like a Mac. A lot of these tutorials are good, a lot leave much to be desired, and many are outdated.

I would like to start a collaborative effort here on the HTG forums to create a "How-To" of our own. I think the best way to do this, is with the forum, allowing everyone to input ideas and information. I also think it will be best to break down the differences and tackle them separately.
For easy readability, I will edit this specific post when information is presented that is important to the process.

If anyone disagrees with the following please post. While in some cases it may be a matter of opinion, in others there may be a program that someone else has never heard of. Feel free to list non-free programs, but try to list a free program when possible.

Please feel free to correct the names of features if I have named them incorrectly.

The Dock -- Objectdock or Rocketdock
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objectdock – Free [ Plus version - $19.95 USD – not available in Object Desktop Suite(s) ]
Rocketdock - Free

While there are many different dock programs, RocketDock and Stardock seem to be the best. They support PNG icons (most others do as well).
They both support docklets and Rocketdock has a stack docklet (Objectdock may have one). Objectdock has an option to reserve edge of screen, so when maximizing a windows, the dock is not covered. Objectdock also has a weather docklet by default.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

The Mac Menu Bar (functionality) –Finderbar or Objectbar
Finderbar – Free
Objectbar – $19.95 USD [ $69.95 as part of Object Desktop Ultimate ]

Finderbar will add functionality to the current bar and keep the Windows Start Menu easily accessible.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

The Mac Theme

Icons -- Icon Tweaker or Icon Packager
Icon Tweaker - Free
Icon Packager - $14.95 USD [ $49.95 USD / $69.69 USD as part of Object Desktop Suite(s) ]

Logon Interface -- Logon Studio / Logon UI

Explorer/Finder Interface

Program Skins

Alt-Tab

Other -- Transbar
Transbar allows the start bar in Windows to have the transparency level adjusted.

*Edit*
I found found what seems to be a promising and recent video tutorial series on YouTube.com.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

I get most of that with this theme, http://zeusosx.deviantart.com/.....D-79282673
and the author links to most of the individual components.

Covered Best by Gaard Cetero here, http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=9

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

That looks very nice, but from what I read it is targeted toward Vista only. I would like to create a compilation of programs that will achieve the effect and work in either XP or Vista.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Ah, yes. What I posted is exclusively for Vista, sorry.

Posted 5 years ago

svc
svc

I downloaded the Mac Icons at Iconshock. They're free but if you don't register you can just download 5. They're nice though :)

Posted 5 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Thanks for such an effort. However, if you want more utilities and applications that make ur PC look like mac, try this:

FlyakiteOSX v3.5 - Modify . Simplify . Aquafy

I have used it... Kinda cool !

Now looking for XP transformation to Mac Leopard. Help me out...

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.