How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Make USB drive bootable

(3 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 72219 times

whs
whs

In my attempt to get W7 on an USB drive, I was following this guidance. Except for a little glitch (for "create partition" you have to specify a size - which was not mentioned),I did OK for step1 preparing my USB stick. But in Step 2 I got stuck. It says:

"Step 2: Make the Drive Bootable
Next we’ll use the bootsect utility that comes on the Vista or Windows 7 disk to make the flash drive bootable. In the same command window that you were using in Step 1:
1. Insert your Windows Vista / 7 DVD into your drive.
2. Change directory to the DVD’s boot directory where bootsect lives:
cd d:\boot
3. Use bootsect to set the USB as a bootable NTFS drive prepared for a Vista/7 image. I’m assuming that your USB flash drive has been labeled disk G:\ by the computer:
bootsect /nt60 g:
4. You can now close the command prompt window, we’re done here"

There was no reaction for the cd command, so I don't know whether it did anything. Worse, the bootsect (or even bootsect.exe) it would refuse with the message "'bootsect.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." I am puzzled because this is a completely legal command.

Would anybody know how to get me unstuck or have a different procedure to get the bootsector over to the USB stick.

Posted 5 years ago

wasted

Try adding /force to your command, this will update the MBR on all drives.

So for example, bootsect /force /nt60 g:

Take care using this command, read this link before using the command -- http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....49177.aspx

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Thanks for your input. I now solved the problem. I just unzipped the ISO and copied the boot file over. That worked too - so the problem is solved for now. But now I am stuck some other place. But that is a new story.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!