The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Make Firefox Act Like IE in the Windows 7 Taskbar

(12 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by tmercswims
  • Latest reply from tmercswims
  • Topic Viewed 7510 times

tmercswims

As the title says. When you have an IE window open, but it has multiple tabs open, the icon in the taskbar (and the preview thumbnails) treat it as multiple windows. Is there a way to make this work for Firefox?
The reason I ask is because I hate IE, love Firefox, and 99% of the time have over 2 or 3 tabs open, so it would be great for quick task switching.

Thanks in advance!!

-tmercswims

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

click on tool> options> tabs> uncheck "open new windows in a new tab instead"

Posted 5 years ago

tmercswims

I know that way, but is there a way to do it all in one window, with tabs? If not then I will do that. (:

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

i don't even know how internet explorer works, i haven't used it in years

Posted 5 years ago

tmercswims

Haha nor have I, just when for a few minutes yesterday when uping my computer to Windows 7 before Firefox was installed.

So there may not be a way...... That's too bad.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Crikey. I have up to 300 tabs open sometimes (FF). That would kill my taskbar doing it your way :)

Posted 5 years ago

xsreality

300 ???!!! Dude, you even remember which was the first tab you opened?! ;-)

@tmercswims
Better to use tabs than multiple windows. You can do switching with Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab (reverse) instead of Win+Tab.

Posted 5 years ago

tmercswims

Since I guess there isn't a way to do what I want, that's alright. I didn't really think there would be, but it never hurts to ask.
Thanks anyway guys!

Posted 5 years ago

LH

I think there may be. I need to think more. Might not be exactly what you want tho.

Posted 5 years ago

tmercswims

After searching around Google, I figured out that Firefox 3.7 has this feature, but seeing as they are currently on 3.5.4, who knows how long that could be.

Posted 5 years ago

moopenguin32

I think the functionality you are looking for can be found by installing Winfox. This program was covered by the How-To Geek on Lifehacker. Here's the link:

http://lifehacker.com/5264808/.....-windows-7

I hope this helps until this functionality is natively supported by Firefox.

Posted 5 years ago

tmercswims

moopenguin-

Thanks you for the reply, I actually did come across this solution. However I think I will wait for Firefox 3.6 to be officially released (I hate betas of FF) because this feature is included there. I will mark this as solved.

Accepted Answer · Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.