How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Make A Computer Q

(32 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by haydosrulz
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 4296 times

ScottW
ScottW

OEM is cheaper, has no support, and is tied to the system. It's intended to be sold by system makers. The Retail version comes in a pretty box, has some support included and can be transferred. See also this thread at Tom's Hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/fo.....se#t851237

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

JonMCC, "Actually, they are the same OS" - not quite. They have different product and order numbers - thus they are different products. Yes they share the bulk of the code, but they are not "completely identical in every way, shape and form". And they cannot run all of the same programs. I would be hard pressed not to look at them as different products.

Posted 5 years ago

JonMCC33
JonMCC33

@whs
Start > Run > winver

Both my Windows Vista Business 32-bit and my Windows Vista Ultimate x64 show 6.0.6001

Yep, pretty much the same OS last time I checked. ;-)

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

The 32-bit/64-bit discs only apply to the OEM versions. The retail discs contain both 32-bit and 64-bit versions and you choose which you want when you install it. That is why when you look at the retail version it doesn't show 32-bit or 64-bit.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

JonMCC33, copy all files from the Windows directory on your 32-bit Vista into the Windows directory on the 64-bit Vista. Reboot. Then tell us again how the two versions are identical.

Posted 5 years ago

haydosrulz

um... ok

so should i get a retail or oem for my computer

@whs is there any important differences?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Given the choice I would get a retail. At least you have some MS support - for 3 months I believe. That should suffice to iron out any initial problems. With an OEM you may save a few bucks (if you can find one), but you are on your own.
Question of 32 versus 64bit is governed by the size of your RAM. I run 4GB with 32bit because I don't want the restrictions of 64bit (regarding the availability of programs). And if you don't run programs that can really make use of a large RAM, there is no point anyhow.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

The 45 digit or whatever number generated when one has to do a Manual PA gives all the info MS needs to squabble with one and (NOT) be given a 50 digit PA Code.
I Agree Totally with (whs).
Go with the (Retail Editions) if you can't obtain X10/X11 or purchase VL Editions and you will always be able to Manually PA (Unless one's Product Number gets "black listed" for intent to defraud).
It's all in The ("I Didn't Read and I Don't Care") MS Eula's.
-----------
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

For info on OEM vs retail see http://arstechnica.com/news.ar.....-8730.html

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@jd2066,
"The end result is that OEM versions may not be that attractive to users who frequently build new computers from the ground up."

You got it JD !!

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦ :)

Posted 5 years ago

jettwo
jettwo

haydosrulz, the Titan server case is designed to to be , just as it says, a server. This is a full sized tower case that weighs a ton and has a much larger footprint. Servers are intended to store data, etc for access from workstations, internet users, whatever. Servers are powerful machines but do not generate the kind of heat a monster gaming machine would produce. Hence, the lack of cooling fans.The previous replies have given you some great examples of the type of case you should be looking at. My company uses Smoke Flow Testing and Infrared Thermography to test air flow and to locate hot spots in our systems. More fans are not the answer, and side case fans are a waste of money.Steady, moderate air flow from front to rear is the answer. Side case fans create turbulence and disrupt air flow, however, a side duct to allow cooler outside air to the processor is a plus. On another note, I am very happy to see that you got away from the Asock motherboard, it is the most unstable brand on the market....pile of junk. AMD and Intel make great processors, you can build a great machine with either. Be sure to research your componants to get the maximum performance, the higher priced hardware is not always the best solution. Choose a video card that will support all the current graphic technology, but don't buy the biggest baddest card available. In a year or so, there will probobly be new technology that will require an upgrade. Your 500 dollar video card will be worth much less then. This is my first post here on this forum, and found that there are many very knowledgable members. Although I am new here, my company has built over 6000 gaming systems. Over the years we have made some costly mistakes that we've learned from. To build a great gamer you need to do alot of reading, research, and listen to advice and recommendations from people like the members of this group before purchasing your componants. Good luck and keerp us posted on your progress. - JET

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Jettwo, great first post! It's good to hear from someone with experience in case airflow design. Despite the advice that I give out here, I have only built a handful of systems myself and I don't have a smoke flow tester! BTW, where is the smoke flow tester for home users? I would love to have one! Also, it's good to know that ASRock is a mobo to avoid -- I'll remember that the next time someone asks about it.

Perhaps our longest discussion of case airflow was in the following thread, a fairly recent one. Take a look, and add your thoughts if you like. I intend to refer builders who ask about air cooling to that thread, even though there is some dispute about what's best and some confusion (my own included!)
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/case-air-flow

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!