SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

MAJORITY VOTE : DO YOU USE HTML ETC OR A WEB AUTHORING PROGRAM E.G DREAMWEAVER?

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by djhull3917
  • Latest reply from Enthusiast
  • Topic Viewed 524 times

djhull3917

Get those votes in !

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

What can we win?

Posted 1 year ago

BobJam
BobJam

@djhull3917,

If you're talking about pure HTML (like in notepad, or such) versus a Content Management System ("CMS", like Drupal or Joomla), or a WYSIWYG editor, like Kompozer or Dreamweaver, there are advantages and disadvantages to each, that generally depend on the user level. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish with a "vote".

Generally, more experienced users and developers write their php, css, and html code in a pure form in IDE ("Integrated Development Environment") software. Others use a CMS or WYSIWYG environment.

There are some pretty sophisticated users here, so I suspect your "vote" will be all over the map. To get a more meaningful evaluation, you'd probably have to stipulate the user level . . . "beginner", "intermediate", or "expert", "geek", or "developer".

Some experts can just spit out the code, know exactly what it will do, and don't need or use a CMS or WSYWIG.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

With a price of $400 USD + tax, sure NOT going to use Dreamweaver. (Whew !!!!)

Free HTML Editor like Coffeecup is fine for non-commercial sites that can't recoup their investments.
http://www.coffeecup.com/free-editor/

Plenty of free scripts, images and such on the net.

Posted 1 year ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do not have much experience with CoffeeCup. I use Kompozer because it can be run as a portable application, from a USB device/drive, and doesn't require installation on a PC. I did not see that feature available in CoffeeCup.

Posted 1 year ago

djhull3917

hi guys, heres the thing i know a fair amount of php html css js etc but when it comes to getting the webpage to look the same in all browsers i utterly fail , so using a wysiwyg sorta thing makes it way easier for me to create reliable websites easily. any help on how to make a website look the same ? thanks guys !

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I use Microsoft Expression Web which I got cheap on sale once.

Posted 1 year ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

djhull3917,

You would have gotten better. faster response if you had just asked your question from the beginning, instead of posting this pseudo-poll. That said, do a search on "writing html for multiple browsers" to find out information on how it's done.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.