SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Major Win 7 Problems - anyone know what to do?

(40 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Carney52
  • Latest reply from GKI610
  • Topic Viewed 1578 times

stockie62

Just offering the benefit of my very limited experience with Win 7 and Nvidia. No question , just possible solution.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue

win7 and nvidia are perfectly compatible, but thanks for the input, this is an upgrade issue.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

@GKI610, yes you can do a win7 64bit from Vista 32 bit but it requires a clean install including a format. When Carney52 posted he upgraded from one to the other that was your concern. Good concern. The thing that was missed was no one asked at that time if he formatted his hdd. I took it for granted Windows would have prompted him to format his hdd. That said, I agree with all above it might be time to do a "COMPLETE" clean install including a "format". You also asked about admin right thing. The fix you downloaded is to overide the admin hangup. When you get that message just rt click on the file,photo,.exe and "take Qwnership" You should be able to run with admin rights. There are other workarounds but for now you have other problems. Look here it gives the spec's and new drivers for your Nvidia card for Win7 64 bit. It is compatable. When you complete your Windows & mobo driver installation go to windows update and request updates first. You should see Updated drivers for the Nvidia card. The last thing is when installing your mobo drivers make sure you choose the option for Nvidia win 64 bit.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

When I clean installed 7, windows update provided the video drivers, and it made my monitor POP with extra vivid color, so much so, I had to go into Nvidia's control panel and turn down Digital Vibrance!

Posted 4 years ago

Carney52

Wow guys – thanks so much for all the info! I really appreciate the help! BTW: just so you know – “he’s” a “she” – LOL!

Okay – this is how I installed Win 7 – I following the directions as outlined on this site: http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....s-7-a.html

Once it was installed and once I activated it, I went to Dell’s upgrade site and loaded the upgraded files for a 64-bit system. I then went to Nvidia’s site and upgraded the video driver for a 64-bit system. (yes, I selected the 64-bit version) And yes, Germ-X: the system did prompt with a warning that this would reformat the HD. So, perhaps the instructions for doing a clean install from the other site are not correct? Or – more likely – I missed a step. Anyway, I suspect you are correct in suggesting I do a complete reformat and reload of Win 7. However, is there another approach to doing this that might be better than what I have already done? As for backing up date: I’m fairly paranoid about doing backups and run a mirror drive (external) and also do daily backups to an online vault. In my business (writer/photographer) I can’t afford to lose data.

Thanks for the explanation about taking ownership – it now makes great sense and I will see if it helps.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

One more suggestion, make sure you made yourself a bootable recovery disk in case you ever need to restore your system.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

I knew you had enough horspower to do it, Carney52! That 630i is pretty strong. Shall we mark this "Solved"?

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue

i dont think this one is solved yet GKI610

Posted 4 years ago

Carney52

Hi all – apologies for disappearing for a few days – work took me away from the system.

I understand the purpose in starting over with Win 7 and doing a clean install. What I’m a bit confused about is exactly how to do this. I can follow the steps as outline in the other website http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....s-7-a.html
But, will this be enough? I have another option: install 7 on the second hard drive. This one is no longer formatted for Vista or anything else. However, since my copy of Win 7 is an upgrade version, would this work?

I’m hoping to have time this weekend to try doing a clean install and starting over again. Thanks, again, for all the effort!

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

Carney52,
While it might be technically possible to use the upgrade disks to do an installation of Windows 7 without a previous version, doing so, as Microsoft points out, is not properly licensed.

Some of the confusion has come after enthusiasts noted a way to get an upgrade disc to install on a fully erased hard drive. Here is the complete article click here take a few and read it completely.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

Carney52

Well folks – things just go from bad to worse – I finally found time to reinstall Win 7. This is how I did the install: Inserted the CD in the drive; rebooted the system into the CD; selected “Custom” and selected the 64-bit version; the OS installed without prompting with any errors. I then downloaded the NVIDIA driver, and WIN 7 updates from Dell. I then installed Office Pro. And guess what? NO IMPROVEMENT! Everything remains the same. So, I finally got a response from Microsoft. They tell me the display driver is not compatible with Win 7 -64-bit. This makes zero sense to me! NVIDIA provides an update to the display driver making it compatible with Win 7 64-bit. Dell confirms that this is the correct driver. However, the display remains bad. Incidentally, no one at Dell has a clue either.

And then we have the issue of all the stupid “admin” warnings. MS suggested I change my security settings and turn off the notification. I did this, but it did not help. It did not allow programs to run or allow me to click on hyper-links. So, out of desperation, I shut off my security software (ESET Security Suite) and restarted the system with it off. This did not help. FYI: ESET supplies an update to the security suite to make it compatible with Win 7.

I have now done everything I know how to do – which may not be saying a whole lot – and everything Microsoft could offer as ideas. I am left with the same mess I’ve had since installing this OS. I am not a happy camper. Any ideas, thoughts, feedback? Thanks!

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

Could you supply the service tag # of your Dell? Is this it's original video card(s)

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue

i dont think you should get the display drivers from Dell itself, get the new 195.62 64-bit driver version from the nvidia site, ive had problems in the past with video drivers from vendors, then i installed the drivers from nvidia itself and no problems.
im starting to think you do need a BIOS update, ive read that many PC's need the update to handle Win7 and 64-bit.
search Dell for the latest BIOS update, and install it.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

That's what I was trying to do using the service tag #: determine the latest BIOS (which appears to be 1.0.13). That would also tell me exactly what card(s) he has. On mine, I had the latest BIOS, and cleaninstalling Win 7HP online gave the complete setup w/great drivers within about 1/2 hr on a cable connection. Windows updates did it all.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

As I am reading over all posts & threads I forgot to ask if your original Vista was a 64bit O/S. If it was you could have just upgraded to win7 without any problem. I have a a Dell supplied with vista 32bit and upgraded to WIN7 32 bit. I never had a problem. The most important thing is to take your time before just hitting keys. If you purchased a Dell with vista you may have the same troubles most people do in trying to get peoper Win7 drivers from Dell. There service has disgraceful for th emoney they charge for a system. You might want to download the Nvidia video upgrade directly from Nvidia. Burn it to disk. Windows7 will update most other drivers thru their update process.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

g-x, is your last post @ me? If so, my original OS was 32 b. XP Pro. I've done a clean install using both 32 & 64 bit versions of Win 7, with the same great results using windows updates automatically loading the necessary drivers.

Posted 4 years ago

Carney52

Okay some answers: yes, my system did come directly from Dell and yes it was running Vista 32-bit.

I downloaded the display drivers from Nvidia – NOT from Dell. I’ve had enough headaches dealing with Dell over the years to not use their updates whenever I can get them elsewhere. The display driver is version 195.62 for 64-bit.

One of the first things I did – with the first install – was to update my BIOS using the download from Dell’s website. I’m going to try doing this again in the off chance that something happened during the initial download – wouldn’t I have received some sort of warning notice?

While doing the install I pretty much stayed away from the keyboard until the system asked a question requiring my input. This is especially true for the 2nd try because now I’m really paranoid so also extra careful.

Service tag: 5D55BJ1

If I haven’t made this clear yet: I really, really appreciate all this help! Neither Dell nor Microsoft has gone out to help as you folks have.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

I got your tag # as 5D55BJ1 . If this is it, Dell doesn't recognize it, and I can only go on the model #, which had many configurations. For sure, the BIOS should be 1.0.13 and your "Dell" screen at boot should have a circle around the logo.
This was my state when I clean installed Win 7 HP with the 'puter online, and it installed network controllers & everything else from Microsoft, including a video driver that made my 8800GT card pop with color, so much so that I had to turn the digital vibrance down, to make things look normal.
Only thing I may have done differently than OP was to 'Custom install' and delete all partitions shown, then proceed with the install, just keyboarding only when it asked.
There might be other updates within an hour or two, but I'd then manually defrag & wait for it to be totally happy before installing the Office Suite.

Posted 4 years ago

Carney52

Odd…but then everything about all of this has been odd. I’m able to pull up my system on Dell’s site and confirm the configuration, don’t know why you couldn’t. Anyway, I re-flashed the BIOS and nothing changed. I’ve also heard from NVIDIA and, as others already expected, their drivers for Win 7 are correct and, yes, I do have the correct driver.

GK – you wrote: Only thing I may have done differently than OP was to 'Custom install' and delete all partitions shown, then proceed with the install, just keyboarding only when it asked. Could you, please, explain what this means? I am willing to do yet another custom install, but, I need to know if what I am doing is creating these issues or whether something else may be going on. I don’t want to keep installing using the same steps since this seems to take me right back to the same problems. If you have a different way of doing the install, please explain.

I’m back to step one: lost and bewildered. Now, I’m wondering if my security software is at fault (?); if my system – hardware this time – is somehow faulty or if some other, not yet recognized, problem is at fault. I did deactivate the security suite and tried to run the system without this in the background, but it did not make a difference. I’ve looked at device manager numerous times and there are no conflicts recognized.

One more idea – and this one is a bit “out there”: I’ve had something of a nightmare with this Dell system. In fact, it took Dell four tries until I got a system that operated – 2 arrived DOA, one died during initial boot and the fourth died the first day. There is a whole history behind the system including lots of onsite visits and other goodies. After months of working with various Dell techs, I finally was assigned to a tech in the executive office. After replacing the motherboard, RAM, hard drives, fans, and power supply - most were replaced more than once – the system was finally running well. The final tech was the one who suggested I upgrade to Windows 7 in an effort to resolve an ongoing issue involving Photoshop and Vista [this is a known compatibility issue that both MS and Adobe are aware of]. So, now I’m beginning to wonder if all of this is hardware related – again. I have 2 Western Digital SATA hard drives (500GB each) installed. I also have the exact same drives sitting in a box in the office. Those drives still contain VISTA. I’m thinking of putting them back into the system and installing Win 7 on them. Any thoughts about this idea – stupid, useless, perhaps a chance???

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

Gosh, you had a bummer. I originally had a Hitachi 500 GB HD, and installed what they sent for a second: was a noisy Seagate. Still running XP Pro from recovery partition for a year. During a verify of a backup to an external HD, the recovery failed, and apparently it was the HD electronics. So, I did the disc install w/Dell discs (XP). Hated the noisy Seagate, so I bought a WD like yours, and Win 7 HP. For Win 7 on my tag, Dell shows only the BIOS that must be 1.0.13 installed, which I had done.
Installing Win 7 on the unused disc was a dream - worked like a charm w/system online, it took all drivers & software from Microsoft. Now that I own a Retail (both bit versions on 2 discs) I am at liberty to experiment. I find that during reinstallation, chose 'Custom', and instead of Format, I delete all partitions: it wants to leave the previous System Files (100mb) on the HD. I delete everything, and go right into the install, and it works just like the HD was new. Microsoft steps up as it's online, and the whole deal takes 1/2 hr at the outside. When done, I install AV (MSE currently), and am operating with just Windows Firewall, and the Machine's happy. It liked the 64 bit version as well.
Reason I wanted to use your serv. tag was to see what processor to check if 64 bits would run, and if it supported VirtualMachine, which it probably does. Anybody else's tag, Dell let's me see the original configuration. When you got different stuff, did you perchance get a different tag #? It would show on the first screen in Setup (F-2).
Did I clarify my procedure enough? Post back if you need anymore info, fellow 630i owner. (Do you have a RAID setup, and which video card??)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.