SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Major Win 7 Problems - anyone know what to do?

(40 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Carney52
  • Latest reply from GKI610
  • Topic Viewed 1578 times

Carney52

Hi all – I hope you will have patience with this non-computer geek – lol.

I installed Win 7 on my Dell XPS 630i about ten days ago and since then have regretted ever even considering moving from my hated Vista to 7. I have encountered numerous issues that remain unresolved. First: display – really poor. No matter what settings I use, resolution, font size, etc. the display is really off. Instead of using the full screen the display occupies only the middle and either side and top and bottom contain large black lines. I have done everything I know how: adjusted resolution from very high to very low; adjusted font size from tiny to extra-large and reloaded drivers directly from Nvidia’s website. Nothing has worked. Online the display is particularly awful and almost impossible to read unless I move my eyes into the screen.

1. Second issue: I can no longer click on links in e-mails or online. Each time I receive this error message: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

2. When attempting to upload or download images from my own website [I’m a photographer and post images for clients online] I receive an error message stating the system admin has prohibited that action

3. When attempting to conduct any action that has not previously been used I am prompted numerous times to get system admin permission before proceeding. This happens when attempting to move a file from one location to another; when attempting to delete a file; when attempting to access or change settings under the control panel and whenever I try to change formatting in any application

4. The system hangs and/or freezes frequently and must be manually rebooted

I am the sole user of this system. I am signed in as the system administrator. There are no other user accounts.

I spent approximately 90 minutes with a Microsoft technician last Friday. He had me reload the Nvidia drivers from the website. This did not resolve the display issue. He then took remote control over the system in an attempt to diagnose and repair both the display issue and the other issues. He was unable to do either.
I am really at my wit’s end on this stuff! I’ve been wasting a huge amount of time just trying to get my system to run with this new OS. As bad as Vista might have been, at least I did not spend most of my day trying to get it to work properly! I am tempted to just go back to Vista but am not sure of how. If someone – anyone – can offer me some help, I’d be greatly appreciative. I have no idea what to do now and apparently neither did the tech with whom I tried to work.

System Specs:
Dell XPS 630i
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 3.2GHz
4 GB RAM
2-500GB HD

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

I have the same exact system as you do. What video card(s), were you doing a clean install with same # bits as your Vista system?

FWIW, my machine loves 7, was XP Pro, but HDD bit the dust when overworked (heat on it's little board, I believe). Used 2nd hdd to install XP Pro from Dell Discs, then decided to buy W7, clean install, and it's real happy.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

welcome window 7 user? One thing I noticed is you might need to take ownership of your computer / files/ folders. Click here for one fix. there are some other ways but this will get you started. Waiting for your response to GKI610's questions before making any suggestions on reverting back to Vista. Really you don't want that. Win7 has some quirks but is a giant leap forward from vista.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

Carney52

Thank you both for your efforts – and I apologize for being slow in responding. My system decided to crash early this morning and I just now got back up and running.

I switched from Vista 32bit to 7 64 Bit. I used the upgrade CD and booted from that CD into the install program. I then downloaded the Nvidia driver from their website and installed it onto my system. I’m using the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1024Mb. Hopefully this is what you were asking – right now I feel pretty stupid about computers!

Now – for why I’m feeling pretty stupid: I download the registry key that would permit me to take ownership of my files, etc. But, I don’t quite understand what to do next – I unzipped the file and received the verification notice saying it had been added to the registry. Okay – so for this dense person…what now?

Thanks again for your help – sooner or later this will get worked out! I refuse to accept otherwise and, no, I do not want to go back to Vista!

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

I didn't know you could upgrade from Vista 32 bit to 7 64 bit. Is the video problem present now, after downloading the Nvidia drivers?

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

when you rt click on any file you should see a new option "Take Ownership". This will allow you to make changes you want. Win 7 has UAC that can cause a lot of headaches

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

@GKI610 it requires a complete clean install. Win7 upgrade comes with both 32 & 64 bit versions.

Posted 4 years ago

Carney52

Thanks – I understand that right click and select “take ownership”. Next stupid question: what does this do and why will it help? Should I do this with all files? Will doing so enable me to open files with the admin message? Also, will doing this allow me to click links in documents or e-mail?

On the driver question: yes, I upgraded by doing a clean install and installed the 64bit OS. I did download the drivers post install and yes, unfortunately, the display issue remains.

Sorry for all the beginner questions! Thanks!

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

When I did a clean install of Win 7, both bit versions, updates went out & got a very current driver for my Nvidia 8800GT video card. The one on Nvidia's website is also newer, & good for prime time, IMHO. Which card do you have? Is it an ATI?

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

@ GKI619 the OP said its a Nvidia GTX280

@ carney52, when you downloaded the drivers from the nvidia site, did you get the 64-bit version for win7?
latest version of nvidia drivers is the 195.62 version.

Posted 4 years ago

Carney52

Mickeyblue - yes I did get the latest Nvidia driver from their website and yes, it was for the 64-bit version of Win 7.

As of tonight I have a brand new wrinkle in the mix: I cannot get Photoshop CS4 to launch. I keep getting an error message saying the same thing all these messages say: the system admin has limited access to this application - check with my system admin. This is pretty major since my work relies on CS4. I can do some editing with my laptop, but it's a major pain. I'm wondering if starting over from scratch would be of any use? I could simply reinstall 7 from the bootable CD and reload all aps and drivers again - would this make any difference?

Thanks folks!

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

i think the best would be to back-up your DATA and important documents onto an external HD, then do a clean install, format the HD, and then load the specific drivers.a clean install will erase all DATA on the HD, and install win7 clean.

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

I would agree with Mickeyblue something went wrong withthe install .Redo it as he said.
I have done 17 windows 7 installs for myself and family and friends and have not had your problem.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

@g-x, I'm asking if you can upgrade from a Vista 32 to Win 7 64? Clean install, yes, but the upgrade path? Or can you get a Clean Install, provided you delete all partitions (incl. the 100mb system file partition), then install?

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

as far as i know you cant upgrade from 32-bit vista to 64-bit win7, a clean install is the best option.
the problems are occurring because the upgrade path was chosen, obviously the option is there and windows tried it, but its not the recommended route going from 32-bit to 64-bit.

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC
InterPC

Note: A Clean Install is recommended by many techies who want to get rid of Vista and install Windows 7. It has been reported that when you perform an upgrade from Vista to 7 that bits of Vista can be left behind in Windows 7.

Posted 4 years ago

stockie62

I purchased a new Toshiba laptop with windows 7 and Nvidia graphics card preinstalled. I had major problems from the start and after a week of to and fro from place of purchase swapped to ATI Radeon graphics card and everything was sweet. Nvidia, Win 7 compatability issue?

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

My concern is the change from 32 to 64 bits alone. Isn't that enough to cause problems?

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC
InterPC

@stockie62, you might want to post your question in a new topic.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

stockie62, please post your question in a new topic, thank you

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!