The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

major RAM and start up issue

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by staticmusic34
  • Latest reply from InterPC
  • Topic Viewed 586 times

staticmusic34

So I recently installed Windows 7 x64, the install process went fine and the Upgrade Advisor said that everything was compatible. The problem is that I tried upgrading from two 1 gig sticks of RAM to four 1 gig sticks of RAM; this led to a Blue Screen of Death on start up. All of the sticks are exactly the same Corsair xms2 DDR2 800 mhz, my motherboard is a TA690G AM2. The BIOS recognizes that there is more RAM and it doesn't seem incompatible there... I have tested the new sticks by swapping them out with the old ones and Windows works just fine. Also Windows thinks that BOOTMGR is missing, forcing me to leave the install disc in the drive whenever it boots. For the boot manager problem I tried the repair function on the install disc, but nothing has worked :( any help pretty please?

Posted 4 years ago

p5yk0tik

I would highly recommend creating a Memtest86+ bootable CD and running that on the system for a while (read: many hours). You may have a faulty stick of RAM. Simply swapping out sticks and booting windows will not indicate this to you immediately, so it is best to test.

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC
InterPC

You may have to perform a system recovery through the BIOS if the above instructions don't not work. I hope this can help you.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.