SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Major HELP for an idiot on the computer.......

(20 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by harleychadx
  • Latest reply from G41M
  • Topic Viewed 799 times

harleychadx

I have tried everything I have read and watched on utube and still nothing is working. My brother has gotten that FBI Green Dot virus and I cannot get it off. He has Windows Vista which i've never worked with before. I get into the F8 just fine but when I try to go into safe mode, safe mode with networking, the FBI page still comes up. I've downloaded and burned the recovery CD and put into his computer and nothing. Flash drive, nothing and i've been playing with this for 3 days now. PLEASE, if you have another way, I would be most thankful.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

I have resolved this problem on several computers with the Kaspersky rescue disk. Use ImgBurn to make the CD from the .iso file. Boot from it and run it. (Note: the A you must enter is a capital A.). This should clean the computer and make it bootable again.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

harleychadx, Welcome to HTG. Download/install the latest version and run a scan with MBAM.

Posted 1 year ago

harleychadx

Thank you for responding. This is where the idiot comes in. I stuck the CD in his computer, it went to the same page, so I restarted it and pressed F8 and went to reboot, still the same. Is there something else I should be doing? My grandkids know more of this stuff than i do LOL

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Did not realize you can not boot into Windows, so you can not run MBAM. So, Xhi's suggestion is the most applicable in your problem. If the cd you are talking about is the Kaspersky rescue disc as suggested by Xhi, you need to set your computer to boot first from the cd/dvd drive. This can be done in bios, or in some computers you need to press a key (F12 on some) when you power ON the computer to give you a boot option where you want to boot so in your case you select the cd/dvd drive. Can you give us the model/manufacturer of your computer?

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

The Kaspersky Rescue disk is a good option, just a couple of other things to bear in mind. The disk also offers a 'file explorer' which will let you extract any data you cannot afford to lose - you'll need an external drive connected before you boot from the Kaspersky disk. The reason for mentioning this is that because you will be running an OS alongside the existing one you are trying to repair, it is very easy to disable or delete system files that are necessary for the system to eventually restart, and getting a blue screen after using any rescue disk is not an uncommon occurrence, especially with these really well embedded types of malware.

Posted 1 year ago

harleychadx

@G41M Its a Dell ATG D 630 LAPTOP

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

To boot from the Kaspersky Rescue disc, insert the cd into the drive. Shut down and restart the computer. When the DELL logo appears, press <F12> immediately (probably, several times).When the boot device list appears, highlight IDE CD-ROM Device, CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive and press <Enter>. This will The Kasperky Rescue program. Just follow the prompt, be sure to select the gui (graphic) mode which is more user friendly for those familiar with Windows. Scan your computer and hopefully, your Windows will be up and running after you restart.

Posted 1 year ago

harleychadx

Thank you SOOOOO much. It's fixed now. Something so simple and leave it to me to try everything else LOL. Well, theres alot more for me to learn but I appreciate everything. I think this site will be my startup page :o)

Posted 1 year ago

harleychadx

Thought I'd got the virus out but when we got back from the weekend, it came back. I'm redoing the steps with the Kaspersky Rescue disc and see if I can find anything else I missed.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

It depends how deep the malware is embedded into windows. personally if the first try or two does not "cure" the problem I would recover via my stored backup image, or if I didn't have an image I would reinstall windows. Better safe than sorry.

Rule #1-always have an image of your Operating System(s) so in a disaster you can recover quickly and easily.
Rule #2-always have backups or an image of your data so you don't lose it in a disaster.
Rule #3- Refer back to Rule #1 and Rule #2.

I am not posting this to be a wise guy, but rather to help you in the future. I learned many years ago about rules #1 & #2 because I lost all my data when I didn't have a back up plan in place.

If you can't boot the windows CD/DVD/USB then I would try third party software such as gparted to format the disk and then reinstall windows. You can also boot off a linux Live CD such as ubuntu or Backtrack linux to recover the files you want to save prior to trying to format the disk with gparted and then reinstall windows.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

But Rules #1 and #2 are only useful if you have a RECENT image/backup. An image from last year is only relatively useful because it sets you to far back. But it is still better than a reinstall.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

That is why I said I am not posting that to be a wise guy, but rather to help the OP in the future. Like myself I am sure harleychadx has learned a valuable lesson. Once I lost my OS and all my data I made sure I would never again be placed in that situation. I keep current images of my OSs(Windows and Linux) and back ups of my data. I also keep all my data on a separate disk on it's own partition so even if the OS has a problem my data is safe and so is the back up of the data. Redundancy is the key.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

New SSDs will soon have [ 30 year warranty ] against failures.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

Rick will they have warranty for operator error :))) ?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Tap F5 to refresh.

http://www.yyyyyyy.info/

:) :)

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

Hell Rick that page reminded me of my wild days after high school. Without being specific I think you can figure out how I used to be. :)))

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

No Compass uh ?? (LOL)

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

Your compass is how I used to be in my youth. All over the place with no direction. But miracles do happen. I have been on the straight and narrow since 2/1/1986. Undoubtedly because of all the prayers people said for me.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

harleychadx, If after the second run of Kaspersky Rescue it gives you access back to Windows, download/install/update the latest version and run a full scan with MBAM (link in my post above), Btw, do you have an anti-virus software installed? If yes, what is it?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.