How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Macrium Reflect issue win 7 64 Ult

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by vistamike
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 744 times

vistamike
vistamike

As many members know we are firm users of Macrium Reflect and for the last 3 years I have used this as the default backup without major issues.

However, on my main machine (Acer tower Windows 7 64bit Home premium now Ultimate) Macrium suddenly refused to see my partitions but it did see my GoFlex external drive and any usb flash drives plugged into the ports. (so c, d and e were not seen).

Annoying. As I was about to upgrade to upgrade to 7 Ultimate I decided to format the drive (Dban) and do fresh install.

The Ultimate install was a retail edition, not an upgrade.

All went well, 7 U installed without issue, all updates and apps installed and drivers.

Nice and clean, went to backup with Macrium, same problem. Internal drive not seen but externals and flash drives are and the problem is replicated.

I did do a bios update a while back

I created a net user administration account, logged in and lo and behold Macrium worked and I was able to do the backup.

Very odd.

So my question is, has anyone experienced this and if so what was the resolve?

(BTW Paragon and Acronis see the drive and the partitions) but I prefer MR because it is stable[!]) till now

My lappy is win 7 64 Ultimate and has no issues in my normal user/admin state.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

That sounds like some odd permission problem. How is it if you try to make a Macrium image with the WinPE CD.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

whs, I had a feeling you would be the first to respond!

All permissions granted and I have the WinPE disk you kindly posted. (which has worked perfectly in the past)

The odd thing is that this is a clean install so I am very confused with this for sure and it has been repeated

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

My question was whether the Macrium on the WinPE CD will recognize your partitions when you use the imaging option on the WinPE CD. If that works, we would at least know that there is nothing special regarding your partitions and that it seems to be a problem within Macrium that is installed on your system.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

whs, thanks

PE does not see the partitions either,

Image of PE

SS image of Macrium in Windows

But I can open explorer and locations show the partitions in PE and win mac

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Looks like it is not a Macrium problem but something is screwy with the partitions. Are you running this Windows on a Mac system ?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

' But I can open explorer and locations show the partitions in PE and win mac '

By Win Mac I meant Windows Macrium as booted into windows

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I am as much lost as you are. I still think there may be some permission problem regarding your normal admin account. It is strange that it works from a net user administration account. What is the real difference between those 2 accounts. Maybe you should use the net admin acoount in the interim.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Well it is all very odd indeed.

I reset the bios to default F9 which I suspect I failed to do after the bios update prior to Ultimate going on.
Noticed also that I had the HDD on sata2 so swapped the dvd and HDD around so HDD is on 1.
Booted up and windows said update successful!

I think a combination of the 2 sorted the problem because I am able to see the drive in both the PE disk and from within windows.
The following backup was successful.

Thank you for your input,

Mike

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I am glad you got it sorted. Quite an odd problem. Who would have thunk.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.