The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Macrium Reflect

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by hArLtRoN
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1052 times

hArLtRoN

With Macrium Reflect, can you make an image of your C: partition and have it back it up to the D: partition all on the same HDD? Reason I'm asking is to make my own "recovery partition" on my friends laptop that I'm working on and when I tried this it would get somewhere between 15-19 seconds left and then error out with an I/O error.

PC Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate x86
Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3200 @ 2.00GHz
3 GB RAM
250GB HHD

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Yes that is possible. I do that on my own laptops for an on-the-road emergency recovery. For a serious imaging, you should though use an external disk. That would also protect you when the disk goes on the blink.

The I/O error must have a different reason. Run a chkdsk /r on that partition.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

I ran chkdsk /r and it came back as "CLEAN"

As for the external, I do that on my desktop, I just want my friend to have this if Windows just crashes or gets a virus, etc because he doesn't always pay the best attention to some websites.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Makes sense. I am puzzled by the I/O error. Was the D partition large enough for the image. Figure that you need about 60% of the size of the data (not partition) that you are imaging.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

You are doing it on the intelligent setting aren't you ie left it at default not sector by sector? I put images on a partition on the same drive frequently with no problems.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

@whs,
It's actually the F: partition (I got the drive letters mixed up) and it is 30GB and there is only 15.50 GB used on my C: partition which is about 200GB.

@SJ,
I didn't change any of the settings.

On my desktop I've never run into problems with Macrium and all settings are default as well.

Here is the error message:

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

I looked in the Macrium forums on that error and the admin suggest running chkdsk /r /f in Command Prompt. It can apparently be caused by bad sectors which Macrium can't read. The other possible cause is with the vss. Here's what they say:

Please check your Windows Event log for VSS errors. It is possible that the shadow copy is failing due to space allocation problems.

To see the amount of storage space allocated and used for Volume Shadow Copies run the following command from a command prompt with elevated privileges:

Vssadmin list shadowstorage

To allocate more storage (e.g. 20GB) run the following command:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=20GB

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

@SJ,
chkdsk /r /f is currently running right now. It is at 12%. I will post back once its done and I look at my Windows Event Log.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

There are no errors in the Windows Event Log for VSS.

I restarted the computer because it froze and tried Macrium again. Before it really even started, it told me to run

chkdsk C: /r
I did this, it completed and now I am going to try Macrium again.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

Now I'm getting the error "Backup aborted! - Volume Bitmap is NULL"

I ran

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=20GB
and now I'm getting this error "Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 2 - The system cannot find the file specified."

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

I am re-installing Windows now. Hopefully it fixes it....

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

I re-installed Windows and now Macrium is working perfectly. Not sure what was wrong but it is fixed now :)

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

whs

The way it looked there was some error on the C partition. But we are glad you fixed it - the hard way, LOL.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.