The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Mac vs Pc

(63 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by newagepirate
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 5805 times

jack7h3r1pp3r

i think that linux rules all of every thing just take a look at all of the super computer and every thing else it mainly all runs linux. i will go seach for some proof right now.

edit: here: http://readerszone.com/facts/l.....uters.html

http://www.picotux.com/

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2001/06/gates.html

so bill gates even says that linux is good

Posted 6 years ago

quahog

I dont like linux because windows is the standard and is compatible with basicaly everything I need. Also, I think windows runs better and is more user friendly

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

take it as you will i guess

but i still think that since you haven't really tried it very much and gotten used to it yet so then can't just say that it's bad and you don't like it. and i don't want a war or any thing i was just showing the facts.

Posted 6 years ago

jraparrish

Microsoft like it not, is the reason, either directly or indirectly why any of you have the ability to post comments on this website. From almost the very begining, they have pushed towards the goal of interconnectivity of all computer systems and the ability for anyone to use one. Apple was not headed in that specific direction in the begining and the people at IBM in the 50's and 60's just didn't have the vision, at least not out of the context of Military use. All the platforms have a niche to fill. I hate to make the comparison, but it is as close as I can think of at this moment. But is a strange way, Neil Armstrong setting foot on the moon started with a vision and directive by President John Kennedy. Bill Gates was the visionary that kept pushing the personal computer till it turned into what may be responsible for a large portion of the global economy. I know my job is directly attributable to Microsoft. It has always been human nature to bite the hand that feeds us. Food for Thought.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Good comment with one correction: IBM had a huge network interconnecting the thousands of internal large systems starting in the early 70's. It was called VNET and was operational long before the internet. It had over 300.000 internal users connected with terminals but was never marketed as a product. You could already IM in those days, and, of course, mail, all kinds of applications etc. A customer version was available by the IBM data centers, but that was a different system.

Posted 6 years ago

jraparrish

Your are correct, I was thinking more along the ARPAnet lines and forgot all about VNET. Good history lesson for those that really don't know how we got here. Thank again for your insights, I was a in high school in those years, but my father's oldest brother was a project manager in the sixties installing the mainframes at Disney World in Orlando. I had didn't alway pay attention to his stories about things other than that at the time. Wish I had.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Where is Crawfordville in FL? Is that in the Orlando area?

Posted 6 years ago

jraparrish

No, I am in the panhandle. About 18 miles south of Tallahassee. It is in Wakulla County. I work for the Data Center at the Florida Department of Education.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

I think I have been driving thru there on 19 going south to our snowbird rest.

Posted 6 years ago

jraparrish

You may mean 98, but it is called 19/27/98 in Perry. Here are a few names of towns that may jog your memory. Panacea, Sopchoppy, Carrabelle, East Point, Medart, Alligator Point, St. Marks, Shell Point, Shell Island, Dog Island, St. George Island. Those are in this area. But west is Panama City, Destin, Ft. Walton Beach, Pensacola, Sand Destin, Port St. Joe. Google Earth or Maps would help I am sure. We live on property that has been in my wife's family since 1886.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

You are right, it's 19/98 already in our area. They actually join in Homosassa not far from the manatee park. So you are on real ancestral land. 1886 is very old in the US. Some of the names you mention sound familiar, especially Perry. I can look it up in my Rand McNally.

Posted 6 years ago

jraparrish

You are most likely 150 miles south of my location, if you are near Homosassa. I am familiar with most of Florida, lived here most of my life. Lived in Sarasota, Longwood (near Orlando), Plant City, Melbourne, Delray Beach, Palm Beach, Lake Worth, High Springs, Alachua, Gainesville, Starke. Father was a State Trooper growing up and we moved alot. I call this home now, been here 12 years. The land I live on is only 3 acres, but wife's uncle has 265, cousins have ajoining 135 acres and still farm it. It is very rural in nature, but I love it. Think my email address is on my profile, if your ever in the area, let me know. Always enjoy listening to someone with so much knowledge.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

you guys seem to be drifting off topic a bit :) and it's not that i don't like windows/microsoft i just like linux better and if i didn't like most of the games that i have so much i would make the full switch to linux and get rid of the dual boot

@jraparrish thanks for the lesson and explanation. i like to learn new things it helps keep my brain more up to date :)

and also what happened to quahog i seen that some of his posts were missing

Posted 6 years ago

jraparrish

Your absolutely right Jack, makes things more interesting when you know something about posters at a more personal level. I suspect WHS and I are also of the same age group, which lends itself to us having worked in the computer industry during the time before Linux and the Internet as we know it. By the way, why do you call yourself Jack the Ripper? Oh, sorry different topic.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

jraparrish, Thanks for making me young again, but I was born before WWII - I guess that makes me a little older.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

What hope do us mods have of keeping you rabble in check? :)

Posted 6 years ago

jraparrish

Check your Travel post for more comments before we get ejected from this game.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

@jraparrish it's because he is a cereal killer and he has a really cool name. and i mainly used it for gaming at first but now i just use it for mainly everything :) (still not sure why it has stuck so well though)

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Don't you mean "serial"? jack :)

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Lighthouse: did you say rabble? "You suhpwise me centuwion! Wattled by a wabble of wowdy webels?" :)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.