How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Mac vs Pc

(63 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by newagepirate
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 5805 times

newagepirate
newagepirate

In my personal oppinion, I like Pcs better than Macs but ive heard a lot of different bs answers as to why people like Macs, so I guess my question is, why do people like Pcs better than Macs, or vise-versa?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Some like steak, others like lobster. But the best is to get surf and turf. I do not think there is a real answer to your question.

Posted 6 years ago

newagepirate
newagepirate

Do you think itd be better to just dual boot linux and windows, cause ive always used windows, but ive been kind of wondering about linux lately, so im trying to get some input so I can experiment a bit.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Get WUBI http://wubi-installer.org/ -- then you do not even have to dual boot (which is a pain and sets you back 100 years).

Posted 6 years ago

newagepirate
newagepirate

Wow! Thanks, Ill try that. But does it slow down your comp to run?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

It runs like any old program. Will depend what you do.

Posted 6 years ago

GaardCeteru
GaardCeteru

Well personally i am a big apple fan although I don´t own one but I have used the ones at university. I have used PC´s my whole life so I can actually nip and tuck windows a lot, but what i think makes Windows a pain in the butt is the fact that is more possible for it to hang, to get virus (notice I´m not saying it is impossible for macs to get virus, only less possible), I do believe mac have much better interface and I have actually downloaded a fair amount of apps that make windows run as useful as macs do (objectdock for example is a replica of mac´s iConbar much better than having a bunch of things hanging in the desktop, and you can place it almost anywhere you like and skin it ot tweak it as much as you like)

For me mac´s are just a wee-bit better than pc´s because are less propense to get hanged and are a bit faster, the interface is a bit more pleasing and has a bit more user-friendly interface wich helps you find almost anything pretty easily: accessing programs, files, folders, etc... some may agree.. some may disagree, but hey! that just my opinion =P

Posted 6 years ago

newagepirate
newagepirate

Well if you think about it, both systems have pros and cons, but personaly, I think PCs are better just because they run well if you have the right stuff, but most problems with them are people who try to run crap that they dont have the hardware for, or go and surf crap on the internet when they dont have any (or bad) antivirus/spyware so they get viruses that destroy them.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Apart from the 2 areas of trouble you mention, there is also the problem with legacy programs that were not designed for e.g. Vista and people that turn all the system srews without knowing what they are doing.

Posted 6 years ago

newagepirate
newagepirate

Ya, thats true

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

if you use McAfee SiteAdvisor you can tell if web pages are bad when you go to them which can really come in handy sometimes

here it is if you would like it and it's free: http://www.siteadvisor.com/

and i am not a mac fan i just don't like it's simplicity which is why i like windows and linux :)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

here is another thing to support my not liking ness of mac's:

but i am not a fan of dell either though but it is a good analogy.

Posted 6 years ago

ross

Ah the age old question, which platform is better :)

I was a Windows user, then a linux user (go Slackware!) - now I'm one of those annoying Mac fanboys. Hey at least I recognize and admit it. And before someone shoots me, yes I have Vista installed via BootCamp.

As others have said before me, it's nothing but a matter of taste. The best OS is the one that works best for you.

Posted 6 years ago

GaardCeteru
GaardCeteru

@ ross: indeed it is, for example I have vista right now, the reason why I dont really want to get into dual boot is because it'd give me a lot of trouble with partitions.. and I dont want to loose my VRP (vista recovery partition) cuz then if I had any problem with vista in wich i have need of it I wont be able to use it, and is pretty much my only copy of vista.. so to speak.. and right now I have no way of obtaining leopard, only thing is that is not as easy for me to get games for apple as easily as i do with vista or other PC OS (sorry, but right after graphic designer I am a metalhead, and right after that a gamer XD) so that's why I'm still on vista.. only tweaked as a mac =P cuz as specified above: just love the clean GUI looks and the easy-finding things =D

EDIT: why isn't somebody out there that works on making a hybrid of the three platforms (Mocosoft, Mac and Linux) one that is all-high-and-mighty... if it has got all the goodies of the three of them I'd buy it... right away!... without thinking twice! Im not saying it'll be perfect but hey! if it has more goodies than all the others.. then that'd be a huge step for mankind.. right after fixing the oil problem and the global warming =P

Posted 6 years ago

JKay
JKay

Well I know I'm not really old enough to have really enjoyed DOS, but during those days we used Macs at school because the graphical interface was just so much easier to use than a command prompt, but I love the controlability you get with a command prompt, hence my learning of DOS, and window 3.1, even 95 and 98 you could still use the command prompt to your advantage, then XP came along and killed the DOS prompt, and now I havent even tried to open a command prompt with Vista, now dawning my new interest in learning the Linux language so I can easily install/ run all those nice linux things out there. It's been about 2 years since I've used ubuntu, I loved it when I had it, but it was the only OS I had and it seems just a little weak in the gaming world. But with the new release on WINE 1.00 it plays WoW (sorry, either you love it or you hate it). Basically what I'm getting at is if Linux had the compatability to everything like windows does, I would do away with windows in a heartbeat... But sadly until WINE makes an extreme breakthrough on how to get at least a 90% compatability, I'm stuck with the Microsoft monster

Posted 6 years ago

quahog
quahog

I dont like fanboys, and Ive never used linux a ton, but I know and love windows xp and vista

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Nice pic Jack :)
Im a windows man through and through myself
Very compatible and I love it :)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

even though linux has a compatibility problem with games the compatibility for every thing else is nil because you can get pretty close to the same things for free!!! so i consider linux the best os even though i'm not quite used to all of it yet

Posted 6 years ago

quahog
quahog

Ya, but if you find something you like, its pointless to have to research and find something that runs the same, just so you can have something you want.

WINDOWS RULES ALL!

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

"WINDOWS RULES ALL!" Please supply the facts to back up this statement!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!