Hi all - my 1 st post here and I need some serious advice. My rig is a Mac Pro (2 x 3,2 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon, 8 Gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 graphics card with 2 hard drives totalling about 1,3 Tb memory)

The problem is that I want to set up a rendering farm for 3D graphics produced in Maya using the Mac Pro as a host machine and have no clue how to go about it. My natural inclination is to build the machines from the ground up with the aim to keep costs low. My questions for this forum are :

1. What can Linux do for me in this regard.
2. Shouldn't I just install the Mac OS on all the machines or boot the lot up from the host machine (a program will handle the distribution of the images to be rendered)
3. Does anyone have experience with the use of Mac Mini's in a similar set-up (as opposed to having a built-up system from new parts)
4. I have no experience in doing all of the above but there is plenty of resources. What hardware do I need to set up seven machines or so (excluding the host machine) to do the parallel processing capability of the rendering farm. My list includes processors, RAM, cooling fans, motherboards, a case, power packs and 1 hard drive. I still have to spec all the parts that I intend buying. Have I missed anything ?
5. Please offer any advice for things that I may have ommitted above

Many thx everyone

Peter

Posted 5 years ago