The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Low disk space on Recovery drive F

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by pcwd
  • Latest reply from pcwd
  • Topic Viewed 1581 times

pcwd

Problem: WINDOWS VISTA BUSINESS. After a virus infection and Recovery I said 'Yes' to backup and it backed up onto the F: Drive. (Now have reset the backup destination). D: is DVD drive, E: is OS_Tools and F: is recovery. Capacity- 6.67GB, Used space: 6.65GB, Free space: 22.5 MB. Now the drive is nearly full and I keep getting low disk soace message. I have done the above suggestions that I saw in an earlier post but when I get to the VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWSTORAGE I can only see the results for c: all attempts to get to F failed (but then my dos is very rusty). I have a PRELOAD folder (5.02GB)and I know the problem is here, but even showing hidden files doesnt show what,s in it. When I click on it, it is locked and I can't open it. I am sure that the incorrect backup files that are probably located here are causing the trouble. Could anyone please advise?
pcdw cape town south africa.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

What you see with VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWSTORAGE, are Restore Points, not Backups.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I suggest you run this program to see what's on this partition. Then post back with the results.

Posted 5 years ago

pcwd

Thank you for the program (great) which I have now run: Results>
PRELOAD (5 GB) has 9 BASE.WIM files- from BASE.WIM (blue) to BASE9.WIM - all ~650.00MB. But these were all last changed on 2007/10/24 - the date I got the computer and made the recovery discs.

Windows folder: has Temp folder (773.4 MB) which contains a backup#1.2.fbw (770.7) and Backup#1.1.exe (2.7 MB) with the date of the crash. It also has a winsxs folder (499.0 MB) - also last changed on date of crash (2009-05-16) but non of the files in it have changed - just accessed?? There is a backup folder in it but it is last changed in 2006.
What can I get rid of and do I use Cleanup or user defined cleanup?
Thank you

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.