(Solved) - lost my browser(23 posts)
- Remove Solved Status
You can check your DNS servers by going to a CMD window (Windows Key + R -> Type in: CMD hit OK) and type in: ipconfig /all. You will find the DNS under the DNS Server entry for your device.
To check if the DNS servers are working type in: Ping Google.com
You should get a return similar to the one below which includes the IP number for Google.com if not your DNS servers are not correct.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Pinging google.com [22.214.171.124] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 126.96.36.199: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=56
Reply from 188.8.131.52: bytes=32 time=67ms TTL=56
Reply from 184.108.40.206: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=56
Reply from 220.127.116.11: bytes=32 time=113ms TTL=56
Ping statistics for 18.104.22.168:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 41ms, Maximum = 113ms, Average = 77ms
i did this ping test already with my service provider techs.
it is working. i can use my laptop and get online just fine.
my home pc can't get online.
someone told me i might have lost my dns settings.
how can i get these numbers automatically with window vista?
where do i go to check them?
Set an actual DNS in your computer. This will prove that you actually have a valid DNS. Put in 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 which are valid Google DNS numbers. Restart your computer. Follow the instructions below. You can leave this setting permanently. It is faster than the usual DNS numbers.
I had EXACTLY the same problem and here's the way to fix it...
1. Turn off your modem.
2. Restart your computer.
3. Go to start -> Run and type "netsh winsock reset" (without the quotes) and hit enter.... A command prompt type box will appear and then disappear.
4. Turn On your modem/dial your connection.
5. Open your browser...
That should do it, if it does not... restart your computer and Dial your connection and Open your browser again..
sorry i have not got back online to complete this issue.
this is what i did.
i restored my computer back to june when i had the problem.
it is now working. i believe one or some of the window essential updates is causing the problem.
i did update the essentials, and guess what, my browser stopped working.
so, i went back and restored again.
of course, windows updated but i did not install. i don't know which update is causing the problem.
don't know which one not to install.
This topic has been closed to new replies. Please create a new topic instead.