(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Bobdino
  • Latest reply from Bobdino
  • Topic Viewed 1153 times

Bobdino

Belkin N600db router
Dell Vostro 200 desktop
Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop
Connection to router was lost and "repair"function was unable to renew Ip address.
Start, cmd, was tried with "IP config remove" and "IP config renew" but still no connection
iPad has no problem connecting

Any more info needed?

Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

Kestrel10
Kestrel10

Try updating the wireless cards driver on the laptop. Could be that the driver has become corrupted or something.

Posted 1 year ago

Bobdino

Which dll would that be?
Thanks for a quick answer.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Try re-booting the router....

Since both computers (desktop and laptop) have the problem it probably is router based.

Assuming the laptop is wireless and the desktop wired, you could be looking at a dead router.

To be sure, do an IPCONFIG /ALL from a command prompt on both machines, post them here... If both machines IP Address start with 169.xx.xx.xx then you are either not reaching the router or it isn't putting out IP Addresses.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Bobdino

Whoops!!!
Important fact that I neglected in my original post
I took it to Best Buy ( geek) and they connected to their in- store wireless network. They ALS claimed that the great slowness of my computer was due to too many start up programs. After I investigated this at home the culprit for the slowness was a corrupt Norton download. Removed N and reloaded it and the hog (ccsvchst) was no longer using 50% of CPU.

Posted 1 year ago

Bobdino

Desktop is cable connected

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

It seems that the DHCP is not working on your router.

Posted 1 year ago

Bobdino

Scorpion
If this is true, would my IPad still be able to connect?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Is the Laptop cable or wireless? If it is cable, and the iPad connects (which is only wireless unless you have a 3/4G cellular model) then the router could be bad?

If the iPad IS wireless wi-fi, what is its IP Address and can it get to the Internet?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Bobdino

Ispalten

laptop is wireless---

IPad is wireless. Where would I find it's IP address?
And yes it can get the Internet, I'm on it now.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

On iPad go to settings, Wi-Fi, select the connection and on the blue arrow, touch it to open a new view and the IP Address is there.

Laptop, working, then your router 'switch' is not if the desktop can't get to the Internet.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Bobdino

Desktop is cable connected to router
iPad connects fine
It's the laptop which is not connecting to MY router---- yet it connected to the network at best buy

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.