The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Lost Disk Space

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Highsierra
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 703 times

Highsierra

Have a Dell Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 with 156GB HD running Windows XP Pro SP3 @1.86GHz. Switched to NTFS 3 months ago and this morning I discovered that I had lost 7GB in available space, after dumping several programs (like AVG). The partitions:

Basic Fat Healthy (EISA config) 47MB (39MB free)
Basic Fat32 Healthy (unknown partition) 4.73GB (584MB free)
Basic NTFS Healthy (system) 144.2GB (124.65 free)

Pagefile 1.50 GB
Hibernate unchecked
MFT 122MB
MFT % used - 99
MFT fragments - 3

How can I recover the lost space, or is this a non-issue. I have had 90% space available on the HD until it dropped to 86% today.
ETA: I run CCLEANER every day and DEFRAG when it reaches 4% fragmentation.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

It could be caused by System Restore keeping restore points of that drive, you can disable that:

1. Click Start and click Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, click System or click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
3. Click the System Restore tab, and then select the drive that you want to configure or to exclude.
4. Click the Settings button and make the changes you want.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287505

Posted 1 year ago

Highsierra

Thanks for the reply. The SR is set at 1952MB max space and I keep two points, which I roll over.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Run WinDirStat. It will give you an exact map of your HDD.

Posted 1 year ago

Highsierra

Thanks for the link whs. I don't have a baseline with which to compare and identify a sector with excessive files. Nothing appears abnormal.

Posted 1 year ago

Highsierra

I ran WinDirStat again, only this time I found an "unknown" .cab file which has now expanded to 51.5 Gb. This represents an additional 39% of used space on the disc over the past few days. Can I compress this file, and how?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The .cab is some MS program distribution file gone wild. I would just delete it. In WinDirStat, right click on the file and delete it. Then check whether some MS program is doing that.

Press Start > All Programs Accessories > right click on Command Prompt > Run as Administrator. Into the little black window (drag it to make it bigger), type "schtasks" (without the quotes). Then scan thru all the programs that get started whether you notice any suspicious one.

If you cannot decypher what you see, right click on the command prompt window > Sekect All > right click again. Now all that info is on the clipboard and you can paste it here. We'll have a look and see whether we can see anything - maybe (no promises).

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Highsierra

Ok, deleted that file. Was unable to run "schtasks" as the response was "no enabled devices associated with this service." However, used space is back to 10% and I was also able to use WINDIRSTAT to clean out some remnants of programs which were uninstalled years ago. Much thanks to all.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You are welcome. For schtasks, try schtasks /query

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.