The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

lost all desktop icons

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by irish139
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1517 times

irish139

I lost all window desktop icons, nothing happens if I right click...somehow I fell on a way to get on the internet but if I minimize the webpage I lose it, the way I get back the web page is to do control/alt/delete one time and double click the web page.
How do I do a system restore when I don't have access to the START icon? Any ideas?
Thanks for your help

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

If you don't have access to the start icon or the desktop, I'm assuming that explorer crashed.

What you can usually do in that case is use Ctrl+Alt+Delete and open Task Manager, then use the run menu to launch explorer.exe again.

If that or rebooting doesn't solve your issue, then you might have a spyware problem.

Posted 6 years ago

Navigator

My computer is having the same problem and i suspected its a spyware problem because after doing what you suggested, my desktop keeps coming on and off. My desktop disappeared last night during surfing, so this would comfirm a spyware although taking so much precautions, this still happens.

I'm about to reformat, lucky i saw your website so i really hope you can help me.

Also please could you recommend me some anti-spyware and antivirus software i can use to protect my com? i'm currently using spyware-search and destroy, spywareblaster, ad-aware 2007, avast!antivirus.

Thank you so much.

Best Regards,
Lee

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Navigator, Are you using any security suite like Norton or McAfee? If not, I would recommend KASPERSKY. See this for info:

http://www.av-comparatives.org.....rview.html

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.