The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Lost Access To personal Files-ACCESS DENIED

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by eeeeeeeeek
  • Latest reply from InDiSent
  • Topic Viewed 1714 times

eeeeeeeeek

I have my OS on C: and my personal files on a separate drive. I am suddenly getting PERMISSION DENIED on this drive with my personal files. It gives me the opportunity to go in and change the settings but there are many folders. I right clicked on the main folder and corrected the access settings. It appears as if the folders don't belong to anyone. So after assigning them to administrator and trying again i was able to access the files/folders. However I um unable to delete certain files folders. Is there a way to reset the security feature of a paticular drive or Folder(s). I believe this issue to be caused by trying to unsuccessfully set up a homegroup between my Desktop running win7 and my laptop also running win 7. Any ideas would be appreciated it

Posted 5 years ago

fantazmic2

Change the permissions at the drive level, not folder level. When changing the permissions follow these steps:

Right Click Drive
Properties
Security Tab
Click on "Advanced Button"
Click on "Edit"
either Add or Edit permission accordingly, before you press "Apply", make sure "Replace all existing inheritable permissions...." is checked.

Any changes you made to permissions will be applied to the entire drive.

Posted 5 years ago

eeeeeeeeek

It seems to apply the permissions across the drive except for the MY DOCUMENTS folder under this drive. I get access denied across this entire folder, the other 5 or 6 folders on this drive appear to have been corrected. Any reason why it would deny me on the MY DOCUMENTS folder only.

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

Just what i was looking for. Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!