SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Looking to buy laptop with certain specs...

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jmcguire
  • Latest reply from taybay
  • Topic Viewed 1278 times

jmcguire
jmcguire

I am looking to buy a laptop with certain specs.

14.1in screen.
At least Vista Home Premium.
Dual Core Processor (Intel or AMD, preferably Intel, and not Celeron or Sempron)
At least 1GB RAM
At least 120GB HDD

The above list is easy to find, but what I would also like is the laptop is "XP Friendly" and "Linux Friendly"

I do plan on using Vista, eventually, but for now, I would like to use XP and Linux.

I have a laptop I am selling because XP will not install on it properly, and Linux doesn't work as well as I would like it to.

I didn't post it initially because I wasn't sure, but I didn't see anything against it in the rules.

It is on eBay. I have used it, but it is essentially new. If anyone thinks they may be interested, I can post the link on here. There is nothing wrong with the laptop itself. Like I said I wasn't sure though.

If anyone could suggest a laptop though, it would be much appreciated.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

On the Windows XP compatibly just check the support site of the computer manufacturer to see if they have Windows XP drivers. If they do that usually means you can install Windows XP on it just fine though you will probably still have to burn an XP disc with SATA drivers.

As for suggesting a laptop what is your budget for a laptop? Like under $500, under $1000 or $1000 and up.
Also what do you plan do do with it?

As for Windows Vista why don't you want to run it? If it's something like program incompatibility I maybe able to help you with getting it to run right.

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Honestly, I don't much care for Vista. I have a very difficult time finding things in Vista. I don't think I ever had compatibility issues. We have a wireless network at school, and Vista will not work with it (yet), but that is less of an issue as I am graduating.

My budget, is the $500 range. $600 would most likely be my top.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Look into the sunday ads of bestbuy.com, officedepot.com and circuitcity.com. There are many options. But do not get a 1GB system. 2GB's should be minimum - especially for Vista (which is great). AMD processors are great too. Usually cheaper than Intel for the same performance, but they run a little warm. A TL56, 58 or 60 would be great.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

You can also get good deals at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Su.....-Notebooks

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!