The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

(Solved) - Looking for a website that gives me a details about a software

(9 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by wilson382
  • Latest reply from wilson382
  • Topic Viewed 1094 times

wilson382

i'm Looking for a website that gives me a details about a software. Sometimes i find myself looking over all my installed programs and sometimes i see installed programs that i do not recognize so i have to Google a lot. im looking for something that i just type a name of a program and it tells me what is used for, whether is good or bad.

does such website exist?

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

Why would you not know what was installed ?

Posted 2 years ago

Superevil

Does Google not do this for you?

Posted 2 years ago

wilson382

that's right i know everything that i install somehow sometimes on my installed programs i see stuff that i did not install. and i have to Google looking for information abut that specific before i made a decision whether to leave it or erase it

Posted 2 years ago

Superevil

Usually the first few links you see when Googling the program will be able to tell you if it's legit or malicious.

Posted 2 years ago

wilson382

yeah google tell me if the program is malicious or not however i thought maybe a site that all of this information could exist like a database of files types and programs

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

This may help, at least for file extensions

http://www.fileinfo.com/

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

I'm not really sure what you are looking for but some programs WILL give you a lot of details...

Revo Uninstaller will show the company name and install location. So will others like Advanced Uninstaller Pro, or MspyView.

One that gives a TON of info on computer and Installed apps is BELARC ADVISOR, I suspect this is really what would do the best job for you. It will even indicate when the program was last run.

However even BelArc will not tell you if it is bad, but with all the info it supplies about a program, you should get a feeling when, how, and why, it was installed.

Irv S.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

wilson382

thank you all guys
i will give it try to all the suggestions given

thanks

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.