The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Looking for a SSD replacement for Zune 120 HD MK1231GAL

(14 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Enthusiast
  • Latest reply from Enthusiast
  • Topic Viewed 3016 times

Enthusiast

An elderly friend and coworker came to me with his Zune 120 and a sad look on his face. He tried to use it and he is getting a 5 error and a notice to Contact Support. The 5 error is a hardware error. I can hear the drive clicking inside as it tries to spin. As the device is out of warranty I thought I would ask the SSD gurus here if there is a compatible SSD replacement for this drive.

I would recommend replacement of the Zune, but I know this gentleman doesn't really have the money for that. He saved up for a long time to buy the Zune, on my recommendation, I might add. If I can find a compatible SSD, I plan to purchase it for him and make the repair. We all know hardware failure happens, but I feel kind of guilty about this one.

Any help is appreciated, as always.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Enthusiast,

Doesn't Zune have a PATA hard drive ???

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Enthusiast

Yes, Rick, it is. Does that rule out SSD replacement?

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Not necessarily but makes matters difficult.

Let me research a bit.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Enthusiast

Thank you, sir.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Pretty much. Even PATA drives are getting hard to come by these days. If you put it up as wanted, in the buy and sell forum, you may get something.

Posted 2 years ago

minigeek

@Lighthouse

Is PATA the same as IDE?

I've got a pile of IDE drives sitting the cupboard, unused!

MiniGeek

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Yep. In 2003 WD (who had the copyright on the name IDE, changed it to PATA. There were other companies involved too)

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Something like these ??might?? work.
http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/runcore-pata-ssd/

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Enthusiast

Thanks for the efforts :). I am attempting to verify the connector on the drive in the Zune now, but that 128GB SSD looks promising. I will check back with status.

One thing, during my investigation, it seems the current drive uses a ZIF connector on the drive. I can't tell if the SSD has the same connection option. Is this a problem?

Posted 2 years ago

Enthusiast

Take a look at this ZIF SSD and the OEM Zune Drive. Can you see a reason that I cannot substitute this SSD for the OEM drive? I don't want to have to buy it to find out it doesn't work.

Appreciate the efforts.

Posted 2 years ago

Enthusiast

I ordered the PATA ZIF drive, however I received the PATA IDE drive. Waiting for the replacement to come on Monday.

Posted 2 years ago

coolicer

Could you report back if this worked?

I have been wanting to buy one of these Runcore SSDs to fix my Zune 120 as well, which has been broken now for more than a year. I have searched the internet many times in search of an answer and this is the first time I've found something relevant (the site with the guide on putting an SSD into the Zune 120 doesn't exist anymore).

While I love my Zune HD, it just doesn't sound as good as the 120.

Posted 2 years ago

Enthusiast

Sadly, the Zune does not support the SSD drive I attempted to update to. I wanted to use "MX-Technology 120GB 1.8" PATA MX-NANO Series ZIF SSD - MXSSD1MNANOZ-120G", but MyDigitalDiscount was out of these and sent "Super Talent 1.8 inch 128GB DuraDrive ZT2 ZIF Solid State Drive(MLC)". I wanted to wait and try the MX when it became available, but a 15% restocking fee on the drive I sent back shot that option down.

I was unable to get the Zune to reload the firmware and and recognize the drive. I ended up replacing the Samsung drive that was originally in the Zune.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.