The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

TUTORIAL: LogMeIn Tutorial

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by milnerw
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 10782 times

milnerw

I just finished a new tutorial. This one is on how to use the free version of LogMeIn. You can find it here.

LogMeIn from Waylon Milner on Vimeo.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Very nice. Thank you. What and how do you actually install the LMI bits at the remote site?

Posted 5 years ago

milnerw

You have to log into LMI from that computer and click on the Add this computer link I referenced in the tutorial. Some of the paid versions allow you to have your customer download an install file that adds it to your account.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Understand. I was asking because I have some remote grandmothers that I sometimes help fixing a problem. So they would have to first set it up with the free version.
Little suggestion: If you show a lot of "desktop" in a tutorial, I would use a "standard" desktop. The way you set up your personalized desktop may confuse the audiance, especially for people that are not real geeky.

Posted 5 years ago

milnerw

Yes, they would have to install it. But the only problem is, they have to login with your LMI account so that you have access to it.

What do you mean "Standard" desktop? Are you talking about my menus? I try my best not to use them during the tutorial. I still have my built in start menu and such, I just have it hidden. I could unhide it during the tutorial though if it would help.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

I just mean a plain old standard MS desktop as it comes out of the box - maybe with a neutral desktop picture or the MS background. Else people will be studying all your gadgets rather than listen to what you say. But that is your choice.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.