The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Logged in as Administrator but ended up in the TEMP user account

(6 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by newkid
  • Latest reply from newkid
  • Topic Viewed 914 times

newkid

I have a Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit laptop.

The problem started when I was logging in, it lead me to a temporary profile. I searched high and low for solutions and decided to follow this one (from Microsoft): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215
so I edited the registry as asked and it fixed the problem, but only temporarily.

A day after, I could not log in again, with "The User Profile Service failed the log on. User profile cannot be loaded. So I edited the registry again with the solution from Microsoft.

I restarted, and could log in, but I was shocked to find that even though I DID log in to my User Account (with the password), it was a different profile, with a new desktop. When I click on the "My Videos",etc. on the left side of a window, it was like a brand new account with no files. But when I go to C:\Users\User\My Videos, my files from my admin user account was all there.

I tried to download a picture and when I clicked "Open Folder Location", I saw that it was located at C:\Users\TEMP\Desktop. It seems that although I did log in with an admin account, I am currently using the TEMP account. And this TEMP account is functioning like a normal User Account (i.e. saving files) and there was no pop-up warning about not being able to save files in the temporary account.

Some important info:
When I was changing the registry (after receiving the message of User Profile Service failing) one of the folder's S-1-5....1000 ProfileImagePath was C:\Users\TEMP while the other folder's ProfileImagePath was C:\Users\User. Checking it right now, it seemed that it is still the same, the folder w/o .bak having C:\Users\TEMP while the folder with .bak having C:\Users\User. I am afraid of changing the registry again for fear of destroying the files in my user account.

I cannot do system restore because there aren't any restore points available. I also tried Last known good configuration incase something happens, but so far nothing. Should I edit the registry or is there another way of changing it back?

Posted 2 years ago

AdrianK-IT
AdrianK-IT

Have you tried to create a new, administrator, user account that you can log on to consistently, and where any downloads etc are properly saved? If you can, that's what I would do, and then see if you can sort out all the other issues from that account. (Copy your old files across, delete the duff accounts etc.)

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

At this point I woud suggest you just save everything (files, photos, music) then reinstall windows.
The more you mess with the registry the more you are apt to lock yourself out.
You are going to have more profiles, desktops and user folders around that are just going to keep causing problems.
Have you tried deleting one of the user accounts you don't want or need?

One other thought, when you tried logging in again on the next day and you found your registry had another profile listed that means son=mething is writing to your registry. You might try SAS and malware
http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://www.malwarebytes.org/pr.....ebytes_pro

Posted 2 years ago

newkid

@AdrianK-IT and germ-x
Thank you for replying. I actually did what you guys suggested. I backed-up all my files. I couldn't do anything anymore so I sent it to HP Service Center to be fixed. Apparently when I brought it to HP, it went into bluescreen when they tried to turn on my laptop.

Posted 2 years ago

owen123
owen123

Had you recently being changing the file / folder permissions?

Posted 2 years ago

newkid

@owen123, no I haven't. The things I changed were only the registry as per instructions of the Microsoft website. Laptop fully reformatted, oh well :|. Thanks again to all who replied :).

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.