The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Location of Custom.dic for Word 2007 on Win 8

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Lestrange
  • Latest reply from Lestrange
  • Topic Viewed 441 times

Lestrange

In XP on my last computer, the custom dictionary for Word 2007 was stored at C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof. My new computer, running Win 8, has no such possibility that I can find. I thought it should be at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared. When I first got the computer a couple of weeks ago, that is where I think I put the dictionary and it worked. After refreshing my computer because of problems (thanks to HTG for helping), I put the dictionary in the same place, but it is not working. Any ideas? Thanks.

Budd

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Perhaps you will have to create it, but mine is located at C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof. I found it by using Run %appdata%, then tracing to Microsoft and UProof from there. if you do not have it you may want to create it. Mine has two files Custom.dic and ExcludeDictionaryEN0409.lex in it. These files are the same dates and sizes as were on my Windows 7 computer and were copied when I did the Windows Easy Transfer to set up my Windows 8, so perhaps if you need them they could be copied from another computer.

Posted 1 year ago

Lestrange

Thanks, Xhi. It surprised me that couldn't find Application Data at all. Then it occurred to me it might be hidden. It was. The only difference between XP and WQn 8 is the last file is called Proof, not UProof. It works. Good for you.

Budd

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.