The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

local area connect problem

(22 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by blackice2
  • Latest reply from blackice2
  • Topic Viewed 2423 times

blackice2

monitor hit floor the other day sibce then local arae connection icon keeps flashing.

Posted 6 years ago

blackice2

.........since then local area connection problem. repaced modem, test ok. tech support called cant fix. tried everything. is it caused from monitor impact with floor?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Is it just the monitor that has fallen, or the computer?

Posted 6 years ago

blackice2

monitor!

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Was the replaced modem exactly the same make/model etc

Posted 6 years ago

blackice2

no, but compatable, its a at&t speedstream 4100

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I think it's an internal problem caused by a surge into the computer when the monitor hit the floor. BUT do try the modem on another computer just to help me out a bit

Posted 6 years ago

blackice2

ethernet,dsl internet all show connected but constant activity light flashes as LAN goes back and forth.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Is that on another computer?

Posted 6 years ago

blackice2

dont have a another pc to check modem. tech support says modem looked ok to them though.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Understand. I think its down to surge I mentioned, and something cooked

Posted 6 years ago

blackice2

ok thanks. Ill try repalacing monitor.????????????

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Not monitor, PC!

Posted 6 years ago

blackice2

yap! your probably right, just installed a new dell trinitron monitor and lAN still flashes and connection still inconsistant. what infact happened inside tower where there is aoccuring ?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Now it gets a bit difficult. Without some heavy duty test gear, the first thing you can try is changing the network card

Posted 6 years ago

blackice2

network card was troubleshooted and enabled and read ok from computers device manager!

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

The only thing now I can suggest, is to substitute piece by piece. It's a problem that's difficult to resolve when it's not in front of you (or me in this case).

Posted 6 years ago

blackice2

hi all, went into control panel and system restore and hit dec 26 and everything came back now. except browser was gone, norton firewall disabled and webroot spysweeper program doesnt exist? was i hacked or something?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Look like you got off lightly. My guess is, the accident just scrambled up what was in memory at the time, then when you shut the computer down it saved your settings as garbage

Posted 6 years ago

blackice2

the thing I'm having trouble with now after all this chaos is when I go to tools and click internet options, it merely flashes now. My browser options under tools works but internet options doesn't. is there a way to reset something here. I use to use it to delete cookies, files, passwords etc...

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.