How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Live Messenger ?

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by ian2
  • Latest reply from ian2
  • Topic Viewed 561 times

ian2
ian2

Just wondering if this happens to anyone else.
When I upload to Skydrive or log in to skydrive ,Live messenger opens ,not signed in but in the taskbar,
This happens when using both Firefox and IE8.
Is this normal or is there a setting that causes this,if so can I stop it
Its not logged in,but it annoys me for some unknown reason.
When I log off and close the skydrive tab ,messenger goes away,Does that mean its needed?
I doubt that it is.

This really bugs me.. :(

Posted 4 years ago

Odeho19
Odeho19

Helloooo Ian, Yep, they're part of the same Windows Live dumb little process to take over your entire computing experience. It's all part of MS secret plan to slowly infiltrate your need to keep in touch, whilst still keeping an eye on ALL of your computing habbits......(i.e. think big brother.....only privatized!) Windows Hotmail, Skydrive, Instant Messenger, are all linked together, as well as a bunch of other things that the folks in Redmond think that you'll need. (Fear not, I'm sucked in to the same vortex, as millions of us are) As to why this "annoys you for some unknown reason", I'm afraid I can't answer that one with just one visit to the couch.....however, if you'd like to deposit another 50¢ in the little tin cup, maybe we can discuss this further in depth...... ;-)

It's just part of the Microsoft world, and their is NOTHING we can do, (unless you can find a registry hack to void the icon altogether, which in this case, you might set off certain alarms, and I would then fear for your safe return to us! So please proceed cautiously!!!)

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

Is that 50¢ American or Canadian, sounds expensive either way , I guess for now I will have to settle
for gut wrenching Microsoft Angst...
I will call this one for now a win for the Team from Redmond. ;p

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Um...doesn't happen with me :)

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Mmmm I don't have this problem, though I have noticed that if I check my hotmail using Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Messenger automatically starts up too if it isn't running already.
But if you use Skydrive, you might like SkyDrive Explorer.
I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and love it.
My SkyDrive appears now as a drive in My Computer. Superbe! Far easier to upload files etc etc.

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

@Sarah , yes I installed Skydrive Explorer last night and I too like it.
@ LH , I do not recall this happening to me until recently,which is why I asked my original question.
I was away for a week or so and no one in my family claims to have done anything or changed anything,
one of those "not me" kind of scenarios.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

I think I found it! Tools > Options > Security. Untick the one in the red box ;)

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

For me if I use IE it still opens live messenger when I go to the skydrive page ,even without logging in.
But not when using FF. or skydrive explorer.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.