The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

List of programs that won't install in 7

(22 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Scott
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 3039 times

Scott

Please, just the programs that will not install or have major issues. If applicable, you can include why you think there's a specific cause.

NTREGOPT- installs with admin privileges, runs with at least 1 error, shows 1.88 billion entries ! (don't know about ERUNT)
Super Anti-Spyware
Windows OneCare (as discussed)
Startup Control Panel (by Mike Lin) will install but will not open in Control Panel or Quick Launch, for me anyway.
Ave's Thumbnail Resizer

Posted 5 years ago

whs

I tried Foxit the other day. But it would not run. Had to get old Adobe because one of the other pdf readers did not work either (forgot which one it was).

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

eset smart security, the firewall isn't compatible

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

also, i can't get an external hard drive or usb flash drive to work. guess i'll have to reinstall pink floyd the old fashioned way. i can test windows media player

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

eraser from heidi won't install

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

truecrypt, won't...

Posted 5 years ago

drifta

musicmatch jukebox by yahoo wont install (warns that it has compatibility issues during installation and when u try to run it u get a loading screen which disapears in a few secs.

Posted 5 years ago

subseven

sandboxie gives bsod every time when installed in compatibility mode (wont install normally anyway)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

TrueCrypt 6.1a installs and runs fine for me under Win7. Others have also reported success in the TrueCrypt forums.

Foxit Reader and PDF XChange Viewer, the portable editions, both run for me under Win7.

Musicmatch is dead. You should replace it.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

truecrypt 6.1a works. i have an older exe file saved that i installed from :/

Posted 5 years ago

drifta

scottW...any suggestions on a replacement for musicmatch? i want to fix up my music library.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

foobar is a fairly decent program. not sure if it works on windows7. so that makes my post kind of meaning less...

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Drifta, if you follow the history, MusicMatch was bought by Yahoo! and used to replace their Yahoo Music Jukebox which they later killed and partnered with RealNetworks. Yahoo! now distributes Rhapsody, which I like. BTW, the first iPod for Windows came with MusicMatch, but Apple quickly dumped it and released iTunes.

Music players and jukeboxes are very personal as most folks have a favorite and at least one they dislike. You can take suggestions, but to find *your* favorite you will have to try them. Some folks like the big, fat organizer/player/music store "jukebox" software, such as iTunes and RealPlayer. Others prefer a smaller, lighter app such as Winamp. I have found MediaMonkey to be a small app that's good for organizing and tagging. Tastes in players are as varied as the music they play!

Posted 5 years ago

JadeEmperor

i'm still trying to download Win7 so in the meantime, see Y!messenger and MSN are not listed I presume they do work.

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent

ACER - Launch manager wont install. I tried to install it because that what shows the graphic of the volume moving up and down when you use the built in buttons on the side of the keyboard...... I tried the Vista version.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta

ScottW. i personaly simply just use WMP as it is a decent player and i dont have any problems with it.
i used to use musicmatch simply to organise my music files as it had a feature that allowed u to connect to yahoos music database and automattically tagged your music files without having to manually go through tagging them all. is there a good program that allows yo to automattically tag music files through the WWW. i know programs like music tag allow you to tag your files but the limitation to this is that if you dont have all your music files organised in a album/album format then you have to go and manually tag each song which would take forever considering how much music i have. even if i used some other program to organsie my music in album catagories (itunes) then i stil lwould have to manually tag each album which is less painstaking then tagging each indvidual file but still very tedious.

are you or anyone else fopr that matter aware of any programs out there that allow you to automatically tag your music files by connecting to a database such as yahoo or msn music or something along that line.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

AOL does not install (unknown OS). But you can go to AOL.com and sign in from there.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

I'm hoping that many of the utilities that won't install in the Beta will install after Win7 is fixed for final release.

Continuity (without) "bloating" and "slowing" of the O/S is important I think.

The slowness (NO SNAP) in Win7 Beta is the only issue I've found to be of major concern besides having
no E-mail Client which works correctly. This will probably be fixed also as many have commented on it.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Rick, "Continuity (without) "bloating" and "slowing" of the O/S is important I think." That sounds like eating all day in order to loose weight. Legacy is the biggest enemy of progress. I agree with compatibility (mode) to protect the investments in applications. But much of the legacy stuff is there because people are too lazy to learn new things.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

@whs,

I think of continuity in relation to hardware and legacy more in conjunction with software.

If one really wants to break with the past, run a 64 bit machine with a 64 bit O/S and "big bucks" hardware. :) :)

Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.