How-To Geek Forums / Linux

(Solved) - Linux questions..

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ssoylu1996
  • Latest reply from ssoylu1996
  • Topic Viewed 845 times

ssoylu1996

Hi,

I am a web developer , I want to use linux as my default operating system because I am bored of the Standard Microsoft Windows. As a web developer, I have been researching on how to install adobe photoshop cs5.1 extended on to linux using wine and how to install internet explorer.

I've recently installed lubuntu "wubi.exe". I have tested the OS on what is possible. Following tutorials of how to install adobe photoshop , I've got error's like "error -1" and "error: 1". Then there is internet explorer 9 saying that it is not compatible with the 32/64bit when I have the dll's and fonts intalled through wine.

Copying registrys and program files including app-data files from windows to the wine directories did not make a difference for adobe photoshop cs5.1. Internet Explorer 9 however is different, I've found ways of using virtual box to view my sites on how they display. But this involves me using windows again, I need help in looking on how to make it work on wine. I've made sure that all fonts were installed too.

I have assumed that "lubuntu" is almost the same as "ubuntu" as it is very similarly named and developed a little differently, so i've been searching for ubuntu tutorials as I found it quite hard to find tutorials on lubuntu.

Thanks for reading, I hope I can get help.

Samih.

Posted 1 year ago

edmenje
edmenje

Lubuntu is Ubuntu running the LXDE desktop environment, Xubuntu (my fave 'buntu) runs the Xfce4 desktop, Kubuntu runs KDE, Ubuntu itself runs Unity (switched over from GNOME with 11.04) ...and on and on with many variations of distros available, tutorials on Ubuntu should generally apply to all of these. It's only a matter of the user interface where differences occur, filesystem organization and structure are all basically the same and the same packages can be downloaded and run.

As for your wine questions...sorry I can't help you there. If I want to run Windows programs I run Windows, and if I want to run Linux programs I run lInux, I've never tried to get both working in a single OS.

Posted 1 year ago

ssoylu1996

Thanks for your reply, I'm wondering what type of programs can you get on linux which you can not get on windows?

Posted 1 year ago

AdrianK-IT
AdrianK-IT

I can't help thinking you're going about your task in a very bizarre way - a sort of 'Russian Doll' method! As I understand it, you are trying to run a Windows program within Wine (a Windows emulator), within Wubi (a Linux emulator), within Windows. And you wonder why poor old Photoshop gets confused!
My advice would be to try installing a Linux distro directly and run Wine/Photoshop within that. After a bit of experimentation I settled on LinuxMint (based on Ubuntu) as a good flavour of Linux; it has an intelligent installer/partitioner, so it is quite easy to install without upsetting an existing Windows install.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you are going to use Linux, maybe you should look into GIMP, which is very similar to Photoshop and will run natively on Linux.

Posted 1 year ago

ssoylu1996

Ok Thanks !

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!